Excuse Thread - December 1

Sammyswordsman

4 minutes ago, ohio said:

Ok.  Serious question.

Why can't Folsom play SJB or CC instead of some team that most folks not from Cali have never heard of?.  It would make for a better game if they played one of those two teams instead.

Serious answer.  So Cal puts their best teams all in one playoff bracket for D1 SBG.  Nor Cal doesn’t.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Serious answer.  So Cal puts their best teams all in one playoff bracket for D1 SBG.  Nor Cal doesn’t.  

Socal puts MOST of their best teams in bracket because they’re in same section 

CA has 1,000 + teams and 600+ are in SOuthern Section, whichnis one of three in socal, whereas norcal has more than twice the sections (7) for About half of population 

5 minutes ago, ohio said:

Thanks.  Too bad they don't have the No Cal and So Cal runner ups play each other.

They used to — Norcal won 2 of last 3 years this was done 

2010 Palo Alto beat CC

2011 Santa Margarita beat Bellarmine 

2012 granite bay beat LBP

the biggest margin in these games was 5 points — it’s averaged over 25 since

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

They used to — Norcal won 2 of last 3 years this was done 

2010 Palo Alto beat CC

2011 Santa Margarita beat Bellarmine 

2012 granite bay beat LBP

NorCal needed an aberration in 2012 to win 2 of the 3.

In any normal season they'd lose most of the games.

We know this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

28 minutes ago, On2whls said:

If as you always say, SoCal should declare the D1SS as an open and send #2 to the D1AA game, I doubt Folsom would have any SBG wins.

their win in 2010 was the D2 game but their opponent they beat by 28 was top 25 in every poll — after the SBGs, I think most people would pick them over servite and some over CC

2016 was their worst SBG team and wouldn’t have fared well against MD

i think Folsom ‘14 could beat anyone in country that year, including DLS, who beat you guys by 21 — who’s the socal runner up team that year?  SJB if I remember correctly....... Smart money would have been on v SJB at end if ‘14.  I think v CC would have been a pick em

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

Good spin.  This has worked out well for DLS and Folsom. DLS doesn’t have to worry about the threat of losing to Folsom since there isn’t another NorCal team that is even close, and Folsom gets to beat up on teams that half the SS bracket would also beat.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, On2whls said:

Good spin.  This has worked out well for DLS and Folsom. DLS doesn’t have to worry about the threat of losing to Folsom since there isn’t another NorCal team that is even close, and Folsom gets to beat up on teams that half the SS bracket would also beat.

Exactly.

They don't want it to change.

DLS gets a walk to the Open game and Folsom gets to whack some tier 2 team.

Then Pops can talk about NorCal besting SoCal.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

29 minutes ago, Pops said:

All I’m saying is they’re in they’re in that group (#2 might change 4x depending on the starting year — or 5 if you really emphasize recency)

I agree that CC is #2 but also with @Bodysurf that Folsom is marginal top 5. Here is how I would rank them:

1. DLS- 7 Straight Open Games, 4 Titles- Led to the creation of "Super Teams" in So Cal.

2. CC-  Public School Won Back to Back Pac 5 titles leading to the creation of "Super Teams" In So Cal. 2 x Open Runner up to DLS. Plays in the D1 Finals or Semifinal each year which is the Top playoff Bracket in CA.

3. SJB- Hired Negro in 2010, Recruited LBP Best Players and others Creating the First "Super Team" built to compete with CC in the Southern Section and DLS in SBG. Won 2 Open Titles

4. MD- Followed SJB and Became a Super Team with Great Coaching and took down the ultimate Super Team IMG.- Won 1 Open Title Playing for 2nd in a row.

5. Folsom- Asked CIF to get rid of the Open Regional because "It Isn't Fair that the 2nd Best Team in Nor Cal Has to Play DLS to go to a Bowl game." This Created the "Folsom Rule" so they could play in lower level bowl games rather then have to beat the best team in your region to advance. CIF got rid of the Open Play In Game. Folsom has won 3 Lower Lever SBG but still has yet to beat a Top CA Team on the Field and is 0-3 vs DLS losing 108-38.

All 5 of these teams created change in the CA HSFB landscape in the last 10 years, none more then DLS and CC by their play on the field. SJB and MD have ushered in the "New Era" positive or negative. And Foslom's contribution is what it is, I don't know how you compare it to those 4 TOP Teams....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Goldmember said:

This is kinda like when you claimed that California had a case for being the 2nd best team in the state in 2010 because they only lost to DLS by 14.

Silly then and silly now.

Cal was in 2010, if you consider that Servite finished ranked 2nd. Cal was easily as good or better than Servite. They had the size, lines, qb, and speed, something which Servite lacked. They helped tune up the spartans. Cal, and the EBAL overall back then, were really good football. Things have changed as of late.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pops said:

You bring up the ‘06 Canyon game more than everyone else on this board combined 

why is that?

That DLS team was way overrated — probably 3rd worse of last 30 years 

I’m wondering why socal didn’t send an even better team 

fwiw, I think DLS coaches would also rank that performance “down there” with the 7-0 shutout that Clovis West (now a Norcal also-ran) put on hem the year before 

what is that game an example of?  I always thought it was a really bad DLS team playing poorly, just like the Canyon game 

The 06 Spartans were actually a very good team early and midway through the season. They, like a lot of other teams around country ( Trinity,  STA,  SJC this season ) got hit with the injuries and weren't the same team like they were earlier. But as discussed in other threads, it really only matters where you are at the end and how you finish. No one else remembers the rest. 

10 hours ago, Goldmember said:

Exactly.

They don't want it to change.

DLS gets a walk to the Open game and Folsom gets to whack some tier 2 team.

Then Pops can talk about NorCal besting SoCal.

Stop fooling yourself. Where do you get the idea that us NorCal guys like this setup. Its stupid and only hurts the game when a team like Folsom smashes on some SoCal slappie. I actually enjoyed the 5 bowl game setup, especially when CC still played in a different section. At least back than SoCal actually had 2 of their top schools playing in both Open and D1. I could care less that old setup means we lose all the games. It sure as heck beats this crappy setup.

This current setup is beyond stupid with the 1000 bowl games we now have. You got teams playing for a state championship that really aren't that good. It's pretty sad when a team is 3rd place in their own league, but qualifies for a different section and manages to win a bowl game. On one hand their only a 3rd place team who barely qualified for playoffs, but on other will gloat that they are state champs. This has happened  and its STUPID!!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nascar624 said:

Stop fooling yourself. Where do you get the idea that us NorCal guys like this setup. Its stupid and only hurts the game when a team like Folsom smashes on some SoCal slappie. I actually enjoyed the 5 bowl game setup, especially when CC still played in a different section. At least back than SoCal actually had 2 of their top schools playing in both Open and D1. I could care less that old setup means we lose all the games. It sure as heck beats this crappy setup.

This current setup is beyond stupid with the 1000 bowl games we now have. You got teams playing for a state championship that really aren't that good. It's pretty sad when a team is 3rd place in their own league, but qualifies for a different section and manages to win a bowl game. On one hand their only a 3rd place team who barely qualified for playoffs, but on other will gloat that they are state champs. This has happened  and its STUPID!!!!

This all lies squarely on the Shoulders of Folsom.... They had enough influence that the Commissioner said that Folsom's Coaches and Administration was "First Class" to "Work With" in "Finding Solutions".... So they came up with the 12 Bowl game consolation parade program so you don't actually have to beat the best team in your region to play in a bowl game....

Folsom would rather beat the #17 Team in So Cal, have a parade and Pound their chest and say "We would Have" rather then play the #1 team in their region and beat them on the field to play in the Open.

I am 100% with you, 5 was better and made more sense.... 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, nascar624 said:

Fully agree hate the current set up for California! Go back to 5 divisions with an Open and quality games.

Its the participation, everyone gets a trophy pussufication. I don’t even tune into a lot of the games anymore, way too watered down. This year is really to be brutal. For all intestinsive purposes the season ends next week with the Open then it’s anti climatic with games no one really cares about.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

This all lies squarely on the Shoulders of Folsom.... They had enough influence that the Commissioner said that Folsom's Coaches and Administration was "First Class" to "Work With" in "Finding Solutions".... So they came up with the 12 Bowl game consolation parade program so you don't actually have to beat the best team in your region to play in a bowl game....

Folsom would rather beat the #17 Team in So Cal, have a parade and Pound their chest and say "We would Have" rather then play the #1 team in their region and beat them on the field to play in the Open.

I am 100% with you, 5 was better and made more sense.... 

I hate the format as well. But, sorry Folsom just doesn’t have that much juice to change the format. There was some comments from their camp, but more fans than coaches. 

I don’t think even a DLS or MD  high caliber/profile type of a program alone could single handily get policy changed.

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Fully agree hate the current set up for California! Go back to 5 divisions with an Open and quality games.

Its the participation, everyone gets a trophy pussufication. I don’t even tune into a lot of the games anymore, way too watered down. This year is really to be brutal. For all intestinsive purposes the season ends next week with the Open then it’s anti climatic with games no one really cares about.

I too lose interest after the top 5 games. This setup is so bad that I wasnt even aware we already played a state bowl game. My wife was scrolling through Facebook and saw a post from one of our friends which said how exciting it was too see their sons team become state champs.

The little school of Denair, just East of Turlock won the 7AA game tonight. Both schools had byes for the regional. Shows how much I pay attention.

Not trying to take anything away from Denair, but the only ones who probably cared about this game were the ones tied directly to the two schools involved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nascar624 said:

Stop fooling yourself. Where do you get the idea that us NorCal guys like this setup.

Pops loves the entire thing.

See, he's all about narrative and so it gives him everything he needs. DLS gets it's one mulligan a year (they can lose OOS) and will still be a lock for the Open game as long as they take care of two weak NCS games. Then they get one shot at the SS D1 champ.

Then Folsom, the clear #2 in NorCal, gets to clean up in their joke of a bracket and then play the 10th best team in SoCal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

19 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

I agree that CC is #2 but also with @Bodysurf that Folsom is marginal top 5. Here is how I would rank them:

1. DLS- 7 Straight Open Games, 4 Titles- Led to the creation of "Super Teams" in So Cal.

2. CC-  Public School Won Back to Back Pac 5 titles leading to the creation of "Super Teams" In So Cal. 2 x Open Runner up to DLS. Plays in the D1 Finals or Semifinal each year which is the Top playoff Bracket in CA.

3. SJB- Hired Negro in 2010, Recruited LBP Best Players and others Creating the First "Super Team" built to compete with CC in the Southern Section and DLS in SBG. Won 2 Open Titles

4. MD- Followed SJB and Became a Super Team with Great Coaching and took down the ultimate Super Team IMG.- Won 1 Open Title Playing for 2nd in a row.

5. Folsom- Asked CIF to get rid of the Open Regional because "It Isn't Fair that the 2nd Best Team in Nor Cal Has to Play DLS to go to a Bowl game." This Created the "Folsom Rule" so they could play in lower level bowl games rather then have to beat the best team in your region to advance. CIF got rid of the Open Play In Game. Folsom has won 3 Lower Lever SBG but still has yet to beat a Top CA Team on the Field and is 0-3 vs DLS losing 108-38.

All 5 of these teams created change in the CA HSFB landscape in the last 10 years, none more then DLS and CC by their play on the field. SJB and MD have ushered in the "New Era" positive or negative. And Foslom's contribution is what it is, I don't know how you compare it to those 4 TOP Teams....

Did you consider that we could substitute 4-5 + So Cal teams,  swap schedules with the devil and then each of those teams would have the same or better results.  Based either on Comp rankings, Calpreps project a matchup, or eyeball test, whichever you prefer.

• Haha 1