Ohio Playoffs Round 5 (Championship) Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

What do you say to that???  Colerain is losing a ton of quality Seniors.  I heard last week that either Bolden or Specht would be making a move.  Thought of it as total BS... why would either want to leave?

Interesting that it is Lakota West (in conference).  Thought I have heard it all after all these years.  It is a mind-blower to me.

There has to be a story...within the story here.  WOW...

5 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

What do you say to that???  Colerain is losing a ton of quality Seniors.  I heard last week that either Bolden or Specht would be making a move.  Thought of it as total BS... why would either want to leave?

Interesting that it is Lakota West (in conference).  Thought I have heard it all after all these years.  It is a mind-blower to me.

There has to be a story...within the story here.  WOW...

Money. 

I'll say my mind is blown right now. Didn't think the extra money would be anywhere near enough to sway Bolden. 

12 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Money. 

I'll say my mind is blown right now. Didn't think the extra money would be anywhere near enough to sway Bolden. 

Money....really?   How much more money could the Lakota school district offer?  And why leave the tradition that Colerain has built?  

There has to be something else here.  Moving within the conference to coach????    I wish him the best. 

Colerain will survive.  Will be interesting to watch the process.   Still scratching.....

3 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Money. 

If my sources are correct, it’s around 20-25K all told. Started checking around after Peterson on Yappi started floating it a couple months ago. At first everyone denied it, but kinda backed off the denials a few weeks ago. When Scott and Elgin showed up at the title game last week, I finally started thinking there might be something to it.

Still in shock though. Just crazy. 

I've been too busy to give a good analysis of the Ed's/Colerain game, but wanted to get back to it, especially since most of the conversation on Yappi prior and current has been horrible from both sides and everybody in between.  Also told a few of the Ohio guys I would do it.

The game was a good game between 2 good teams and good fan bases. Very good sportsmanship between both programs.

The game was a tale of 2 halves. Colerain controlled the first half and if not for 2 turnovers may have dominated the first half, and Ed's dominated the 2nd half. The teams were very close and playcalling and execution were the biggest factors in this game. A few plays/calls could've gone either way and completely swung momentum. 

On the topic of execution....minus a few penalties, I thought Ed's played a near perfect game. Colerain played a solid game. If I were to rate their playcalling/execution from 1-10, I woud give Colerain an 8 and Ed's a 10. I watched Ed's probably 5-6 times this year, and in the Championship game they just didn't make many mistakes. They didn't give up any big plays, they executed the Onside Kick to perfection, picked up blitzes at the last second, and most importantly their QB Garrett Dzuro was 13/13 for 166 yards and 2 TD's making great throws all game. 

Here's my review of the game. 

Colerain controlled the first half doing what they wanted to do.....Run the option straight at Ed's and play good defense. They had great success with the option in the first half....not hitting the homerun, but picking up 3-5 yds every carry, and ended the first half with over 100 yds more than Ed's......The problems came on the 2 turnovers. After moving the ball downfield on the opening drive, Ivan Pace was hit and wrapped up around the 5 yd line and while falling over players was stripped and Ed's recovered. It is debateable whether he was down, as his upper body was still off the ground, but his knees may have been down.....Also with less than 2 mins before half, Colerain had held Ed's scoreless, had a 7-0 lead, and had the ball. DSM uncharacteristically forced a short pass in the flats that was Intercepted by Ed's Daylan Jernigan. A few plays later and Ed's scored to tie it up right before half. Colerain got the ball back and drove down to kick a FG right before half. 10-7 Colerain at half. 

In the 2nd half Ed's adjusted well on offense and defense. After a nice drive to start the 2nd half Ed's kicked a game tying FG. After that they executed a perfect onside kick and recovered. Colerain was even ready for the kick but just weren't able to get to the ball before Ed's. Colerain was able to force Ed's to punt, but it flipped field position and kept the Colerain Defense on the field. After 3 straight FB dives, The Colerain defense went right back out. They were getting tired but forced a 3rd down. Ed's Converted, and on the tackle Colerain was called for Illegal Helmet Contact. It was a truly awful call, as there was very minimal helmet contact and certainly wasn't initiated with the helmet. The 3 refs directly near the play thought it was fine, but the ref farthest away from the play threw the flag from the opposite sideline. The penalty moved Ed's into the redzone, and they finished with a TD on a nice pass on a slant. The Colerain offense came back out and ran almost all dives up the middle again and had to punt again. Ed's got it back and had some nice 3rd down conversions to keep their drive alive, then on 3rd down threw up a back shoulder jump ball in the endzone. It was well defensed but was just a perfect throw and great catch for another Ed's TD and a 2 score lead....Colerain responded on their first play with what appeared to be a quick screen pass which Syncere Jones took all the way to the house, but unfortunately the refs ruled that he stepped out. Colerain still drove down the field and around the 5yd line Colerain had a 4th down. DSM kept the ball and ran to the outside was hit in front of the goal line, and as he was being tackled made a spectacular play and flipped the ball to Ivan Pace who punched it in the endzone. Unfortunately the lateral was a slight bit forward and thus it didn't count. Nothing much exciting happened after this.

In the 2nd half, Ed's was able to keep the Colerain Defense on the field, and when the Colerain offense finally got back out there they had 2 series where they just ran FB dives right up the middle. Ed's adjusted to it at half and were stuffing the dive in the 2nd half. Some of the calls were deliberate, and some were the QB just making the wrong read. The outside and edge were open on a few occasions. The Colerain option usually opens it up in the 2nd half and the diversity is when it starts to really work on a defense. Unfortunately we didn't get to see that. It was puzzling. By their 3rd possession, Colerain had to go to the spread, and Ed's was able to anticipate and defend the pass much easier. Ultimately Ed's made adjustments and made bigger plays in the 2nd half to win the game.

Since the game, we've been hearing some dumb things about how the option cost Colerain the game, or that the other Northern teams would whoop Colerain.....The option worked great all season long and in the first half, and probably wouldv'e been fine in the 2nd half if Ed's hadn't made great plays on Offense. Even when Colerain had to pass, I thought they were clearly capable, especially considering Ed's has a great secondary and knew Colerain was passing. Syncere dropped a deep pass late in the game that went right through his fingers......As far as the other Northern teams, people wanted to say Colerain had such an advantage because Ed's had never played their option. I didn't buy much into that line of thinking, and actually thought that works both ways...Colerain has never seen Ed's before either. A lot of those Northern teams are rivals and play each other all the time and know each others tendencies, just like Colerain and the GCL teams. Different teams present different matchups. It's just as confusing when we saw Ed's struggle with Elder and Moeller. Colerain played 2 bad quarters for pretty much the entire season. Alot of the other teams had multiple bad quarters or games.  

IMO Hoban, Eds, Colerain, Mentor, and Iggy all were pretty equal and any could beat the other depending on the night. 

Ed's has cemented themselves as the best program in Ohio recently.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the recap Coletrain, and I couldn't agree more with much of what you said. In a game like that against two heavyweights playing their best football of the season, it was going to come down to which team made the fewest mistakes, and which coach took more chances.  That team was St. Edward, which played a near perfect game to come out on top.

Colerain definitely controlled the first half and dictated play early on.  A big opening kickoff return (made easier by the stupid pooch kicks that Ed's insists on doing) gave the Cards field position in Ed's territory and they steadily marched down the field. Then the first big momentum shift happened as Kolesar popped the ball loose from Pace inside the ten. Very close as to whether or not his knee was down, but a call that I don't think either fan base could really gripe about either way the call went. While it happened very early in the game, I don't think any St. Edward fan would tell you that wasn't a huge game changer. I said going into the game that Ed's had to find a way to weather the initial storm and not put themselves in too big a hole.  The fumble was huge in that regard. As was the interception on Colerain's first possession after their TD which set the Eagles up inside Colerain territory and led to the tying score.  Going into the half down three and opening up with the ball in the second half was a victory for Ed's. Colerain dominated TOP in the first half and had nearly 100 yards more on offense.  

The second half was all about one team making adjustments, finding its groove, and taking chances,  while the other tried to stick what got them there.  Ed's scored on 3 of their first 4 possessions in the second half, and the perfectly executed onside kicked flipped field position. Colerain went to the well (the dive) too many times and did not take their shots early enough in the second half. By the time they found themselves down two TD's and needing to pass, it was all over.  

Kudos to your team on an excellent season, and props for being one of the few people to offer a reasonable prediction that properly assessed the opposition. The blowout predictions coming from much of the chat boards were outlandish, as is some of the post-game chatter making Colerain out to be some rag-tag bunch that was severely out-gunned and would lose to half the teams up north.  I thought the Cards were as impressive a group of athletes as I have seen this year. Just wasn't their night. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Great post @OdbCle

Here's a question........whom do you think had the strongest Lines in the state this year? Mentor or Hoban or Eds?

I'd give Mentor the edge on the offensive line because of their 2 blue chippers in Jacoby and Samac. Hoban has a stud in Rumler, but I think Eds is better across the entire front. It's close on the d-line between Mentor and Eds. Potter is a beast at end. He and Colerain's Eric Phillips were the two best I saw this year.   But I think I'd favor Eds overall with the bookends Pietrowski/O'Malley, as well as the depth at DT they had with Alawan, Lee, Colangelo, and others. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

I'd give Mentor the edge on the offensive line because of their 2 blue chippers in Jacoby and Samac. Hoban has a stud in Rumler, but I think Eds is better across the entire front. It's close on the d-line between Mentor and Eds. Potter is a beast at end. He and Colerain's Eric Phillips were the two best I saw this year.   But I think I'd favor Eds overall with the bookends Pietrowski/O'Malley, as well as the depth at DT they had with Alawan, Lee, Colangelo, and others. 

Good analysis. I agree. 

Was updating a running spreadsheet that keeps track of all wins and playoff wins/percentages since 2000 among Ohios top D1 programs and it got me thinking....

It seems to me that almost all of Ohio's recent D1 champs have all had thee best or among the best Lines in the state. '16 X is probably the exception to the rule, (though they had very good lines) but they had divine intervention on their side 😆

Line play seems the best indicator of our top teams.

18 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Good analysis. I agree. 

Was updating a running spreadsheet that keeps track of all wins and playoff wins/percentages since 2000 among Ohios top D1 programs and it got me thinking....

It seems to me that almost all of Ohio's recent D1 champs have all had thee best or among the best Lines in the state. '16 X is probably the exception to the rule, (though they had very good lines) but they had divine intervention on their side 😆

That is a great callout Coletrain06 and I completely agree.

I, too, keep a very similar spreadsheet to help me determine a "Team of the Decade" in D1.  Before this season, it was still up for grabs.  Not anymore as St. Edward has run away from all challengers.

The line play is critical, especially as you get into November in Ohio.  IT is the major reason, NOT the offensive scheme, that Colerain has not brought home more hardware in week 15.  Think about their losses and think about the lines on those teams.  Or, simply put, 6 of the 9 teams that Colerain has lost to in this decade (2010-2018) have gone on to the state championship game and 5 of them have won it!  Last decade (2000-2009), it was a RIDICULOUS 7 of 8 teams who they lost to went to the finals and had a 6-1 record!!!

We are not losing to scrubs.  Colerain is THIS close to having multiple state titles over the past 20 years.  

Unfortunately, that ended officially last night in Lakota....😥

-93CardinalsFan

2 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

-93CardinalsFan

Cmon CF I don't like all that doom and gloom

It's definitely been a turbulent month to be a Cards fan. I don't know what the future holds, it could be good or bad. But I do remember everyone saying the same doom and gloom stuff when Coombs left. 

Either way, what's done is done and there's no dwelling on it. It's definitely gonna be a change, and I am excited to see what happens.

2 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Good analysis. I agree. 

Having size and good athletes on the line is important.  But what people seem to forget is that linemen have to play in unison as a team, especially on the O-Line and that takes good coaching and time.

3 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

That is a great callout Coletrain06 and I completely agree.

I, too, keep a very similar spreadsheet to help me determine a "Team of the Decade" in D1.  Before this season, it was still up for grabs.  Not anymore as St. Edward has run away from all challengers.

The line play is critical, especially as you get into November in Ohio.  IT is the major reason, NOT the offensive scheme, that Colerain has not brought home more hardware in week 15.  Think about their losses and think about the lines on those teams.  Or, simply put, 6 of the 9 teams that Colerain has lost to in this decade (2010-2018) have gone on to the state championship game and 5 of them have won it!  Last decade (2000-2009), it was a RIDICULOUS 7 of 8 teams who they lost to went to the finals and had a 6-1 record!!!

We are not losing to scrubs.  Colerain is THIS close to having multiple state titles over the past 20 years.  

-93CardinalsFan

Sup. 😎

37 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

So the Colerain HC left for LW for more money?? Is this a turnaround job, or can LW become an instant contender? 

It was a pretty big raise. 

Doubtful they’ll be an “instant contender,” but this represents their best shot to wind up a player in SWO.  LW is consistently one of the more talented teams in town. If anyone can get them over the hump, it would be Bolden. 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I went to college w the Lak East HC. Mutual friends heard from him that Bolden left mainly cause the underclassmen cupboards are bare at Colerain. The soph class is less than stellar and freshman numbers are way down. So much so that Colerain had to combine with another HS (Northwest) to field a frosh team. 

Lakota East's HC Rick Haynes was Colerain' s longtime Offensive Coordinator under Kerry Coombs and the godfather of Colerains triple option. 

I'm not super familiar with the freshmen class, but there are plenty of studs in the sophomore class. Junior Varsity did very well, especially considering the best sophomores played on varsity.

In Boldens interview yesterday he looked uncomfortable and pretty much admitted it was a money decision without actually saying it.

51 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Lakota East's HC Rick Haynes was Colerain' s longtime Offensive Coordinator under Kerry Coombs and the godfather of Colerains triple option. 

I'm not super familiar with the freshmen class, but there are plenty of studs in the sophomore class. Junior Varsity did very well, especially considering the best sophomores played on varsity.

In Boldens interview yesterday he looked uncomfortable and pretty much admitted it was a money decision without actually saying it.

I agree 

money , position , security move.

this is bigger than how we view the game IMO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

To be fair, I thought a couple of the reporters (Danneman in particular) were going out of their way to make it as uncomfortable as possible. 

14 hours ago, ohio said:

Having size and good athletes on the line is important.  But what people seem to forget is that linemen have to play in unison as a team, especially on the O-Line and that takes good coaching and time.

I agree. And if there is one thing that can be said that sets St. Edward apart from other programs, it is the consistent play of their offensive line year after year.  Yes, they have the benefit of drawing players from a large area to keep the shelves well stocked, but even when there are no blue-chippers up front for the Eagles, the unit always performs well. And they tend to get better over the course of a season.  That can be credited to coach Dan Scanlon.  He's one of the best, and has been a constant on the staff through the various coaching changes that have occurred over the years.