FL playoff score thread

Columbiafan

On 12/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, badrouter said:

Excellent STA team. Probably their best team of the last four seasons.

I think it's the most talented team. They had the highest peaks of the last 4 teams.

But they had 2.5 unconscionable quarters of football and the best teams come through in those situations. I'd put them behind 2019 and ahead of 2020.

2017 obviously pulling up the rear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

I think it's the most talented team. They had the highest peaks of the last 4 teams.

But they had 2.5 unconscionable quarters of football and the best teams come through in those situations. I'd put them behind 2019 and ahead of 2020.

2017 obviously pulling up the rear.

I'm not sure how badly they played in those 2.5 quarters you mention. Of course I can see how badly they turned out for STA. Agreed that the best teams come through in those situations. As far as high school teams go (not to be confused with boarding schools that recruit nationwide), Central is usually pretty bad-ass. Their 2018 team and most of its strongest opponents all got caught up in the precarious position of rematches with excellent teams. But, they were every bit as good as their teams that have gone undefeated and put up running clocks in state title games. And I continue to be, to my knowledge, the only person saying 2018 was Lakeland's best ever team.

The 2019 team avoided playing any truly loaded teams. And they were frequently in dogfights with few points on the board at halftime of many games. Having a sophomore QB knocks them down a notch IMO. But, they were unbeaten and state champs, so there's no easy way to argue against that. 

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

I'm not sure how badly they played in those 2.5 quarters you mention.

We gave up 26 points in the 4th quarter to Central. That may not be unconscionable to you but it seems pretty straight-forward to me.

Leaving 13 points on the field on special teams against Lakeland is unconscionably bad football in a big game like that. Again, seems pretty clear.

As far as high school teams go (not to be confused with boarding schools that recruit nationwide), Central is usually pretty bad-ass. Their 2018 team and most of its strongest opponents all got caught up in the precarious position of rematches with excellent teams. But, they were every bit as good as their teams that have gone undefeated and put up running clocks in state title games.

Which is why I was satisfied with a 21-17 lead at the start of the 4th quarter. But everything that happened after that is unacceptable.

The 2019 team avoided playing any truly loaded teams. And they were frequently in dogfights with few points on the board at halftime of many games. Having a sophomore QB knocks them down a notch IMO. But, they were unbeaten and state champs, so there's no easy way to argue against that. 

The bottom 2/3 of the 2018 schedule was considerably worse than 2019.

The point differential may have been about the same if the 2019 team had more obvious gimmes like 2018 did.

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

We gave up 26 points in the 4th quarter to Central. That may not be unconscionable to you but it seems pretty straight-forward to me.

Leaving 13 points on the field on special teams against Lakeland is unconscionably bad football in a big game like that. Again, seems pretty clear.

Central deserves credit for the 26 points. The pregame speech from their coach was probably worth 9-10 points too 😁.

What was STA fg kickers make/miss ratio throughout that season? 

Dook Graham is on scholarship at the University of Florida almost entirely because of his kick returning abilities. He's quite dangerous there, and proved throughout his career. The big return is to be expected with a guy that good. And so, to address your rebuttal, what percentage of kickoffs by STA's kicker that season were touchbacks? Or, what percentage of games were each and every one of his kickoffs touchbacks? If it was 100% coming in, and that was his one bad kickoff, you might have a point. But, I suspect it was not 100%.

44 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Dook Graham is on scholarship at the University of Florida almost entirely because of his kick returning abilities. He's quite dangerous there, and proved throughout his career. The big return is to be expected with a guy that good.

The entire right side of the kick coverage busted. It was easy.

45 minutes ago, badrouter said:

And so, to address your rebuttal, what percentage of kickoffs by STA's kicker that season were touchbacks? Or, what percentage of games were each and every one of his kickoffs touchbacks? If it was 100% coming in, and that was his one bad kickoff, you might have a point. But, I suspect it was not 100%.

It's never 100%. Even the best ever aren't more than 90% or so.

It wasn't even a bad kickoff. It went to the 1/2 yard line. We just need another half yard or to cover the damn kick.

• Haha 1