What up Texas?

DevilDog

High school football rankings: Perennial Texas powerhouse Carthage No. 1 in Preseason Small Town Top 25
Texas is home to the top four teams and six of the top 10.

Aug 13, 2024, 1:30pm
Texas dominates the Preseason Small Town Top 25 high school football rankings with the top four teams and six of the top 10.

That includes No. 1 Carthage, which has been dominant since head coach Scott Surratt took over in 2007. In the 17 seasons since, the Bulldogs have captured nine state titles, won 11 or more games 14 times and gone undefeated four times.

Surratt's record at Carthage is 218-30 including a perfect 9-0 in state championship games.

The Small Town Top 25 consists of schools with an enrollment of less than 1,000 students in towns with a population of less than 10,000. Teams are ordered based on preseason national computer rankings.

Preseason Small Town Top 25

1. Carthage (Texas), 13-1 record in 2023
The 2023 season was a rare one for the Bulldogs as they lost in the quarterfinals of the Class 4A state playoffs and finished 13-1. Carthage has won nine state championships under coach Scott Surratt and has gone undefeated during the regular season seven straight seasons. The Bulldogs have one of the state's top offensive linemen in Kash Courtney (6-4, 285).

2. Bellville (Texas), 15-1, 41.6
The Brahmas won 15 in a row last year before falling to Gilmer in the Class 4A Division II state final. The offensive line returns four starters and the defensive line has one of the state's best in D.J. Sanders (6-3, 310).

3. Franklin (Texas), 14-2
The Lions attempted to make it three straight state championships but lost to Malakoff 14-7 in the Class 3A Division I state final. All-state first team selections fullback Jayden Jackson and guard Lucas Lincecum are back.

4. Malakoff (Texas), 16-0
The Class 3A Division I state champions come in behind Franklin to start the season despite ending its title streak in 2023. Jamie Driskell was the Class 3A Coach of the Year by the sportswriters association. He returns all-state third team picks Mike Jones at quarterback and Jerrion Hall at running back.

5. Louisville (Miss.), 15-0
The Wildcats have been dominant the past six seasons, winning four state championships in that span with back-to-back titles in 2022 and 2023. Louisville has won 26 straight games, including a 15-0 record last year while winning the Class 4A state title. The defense should be dynamic with returning all-state defensive lineman Tayquon McKinney, Travon McDonald and Jayshunn Robbins along with second team all-state linebacker Jacari Owens and free safety Khalin Moore.

6. Gilmer (Texas), 13-3
Although the Buckeyes lost three times during the regular season, they bounced back to defeat Bellville 28-26 for the Class 4A Division II state championship. Winners of 15 district championships since 2003, Gilmer had a senior dominant team last year but returns all-state first team kicker Brayden Pate along with all-state second team all-purpose back Brendan Webb.

7. Marion Local (Maria Stein, Ohio), 16-0
Owners of the longest active win streak in the nation at 48 games, the Flyers have won three straight state championships. Marion Local appears loaded again with four all-state first team picks in quarterback Justin Knouff, receiver Victor Hoelscher, tackle Kyle Ungruhn and kicker Carson Bills.

8. Aliquippa (Pa.), 14-0
Winners of 18 conference championships in the past 20 years and two state titles in the past three years, the Quips are among the favored teams to win the Class AAAAA championship this year. While Aliquippa plays in one of the state's largest divisions, it qualifies for the small town rankings due to the town's population of around 9,000 people. The Quips return Class AAAA state MVP Tiqwai Hayes, who rushed for 2,129 yards last year at running back along with all-state defensive back Arison Walker.

9. Gunter (Texas), 16-0
The Class 3A Division II state championship Tigers were one of the highest-scoring teams in the nation last year at over 56 points per game. They bring a 32-game win streak into the 2024 season after winning back-to-back state championships. The line will be the key for Gunter as first team center Luke Bullard (6-2, 230) is back along with all-state defensive lineman Major Thornhill (6-3, 200).

10. Rice Lake (Wis.), 13-1
After losing its season opener, Rice Lake won the next 13 games to claim the Division 3 state championship over Grafton. Although state defensive MVP Easton Stone has graduated, all-state honorable mention defensive back Zach Orr returns to lead the defense.

11. Perry (Ohio), 16-0
The Pirates claimed the Division V state championship, the first football state championship in school history. Bob Gecewich was the Associated Press Division V Coach of the Year. He returns all-state quarterback Walter Moses and fellow all-state picks Luke Sivon at receiver, Chuck Thomas and Anthony Zagrocki on the offensive line and Owen McKoon at linebacker.

12. Grundy Center (Iowa), 13-0
The two-time defending Class 1A state champions will attempt to extend their winning streak of 26 games. Grundy Center loses all-state quarterback Justin Knaack but all-state receiver Tiernan Vokes returns along with all-state lineman Ryker Thoren and linebacker Brody Zinkula.

13. Hitchcock (Texas), 9-2
Division 1 prospects in receiver Kelshaun Johnson, quarterback Lloyd Jones and defensive lineman Malcolm Simpson will lead the way for the Bulldogs.

14. Hawthorne (Fla.), 13-0
Entering the season with a 25-game win streak, Hawthorne will try for its third straight Class 1R state championship. The Hornets have one of the state's top two-sport athletes in quarterback C.J. Ingram, who also earned all-state in basketball last year. He threw for 2,618 yards and 38 touchdowns as a junior. Leading rusher Kenoon Johnson also returns after rushing for 1,594 yards.

15. Winnsboro (Texas), 13-1
The Raiders reached the Class 3A Division I quarterfinals before losing to eventual state champion Malakoff. The 2023 season was Winnsboro's best in nearly a decade. Sophomore Rudy Calderon gives the Raiders one of the state's best kickers after earning second team all-state honors as a sophomore. Honorable mention all-state players Camden Capehart (receiver), Tyson Johnson (running back) and Payton Turner (tackle) also return.

16. Boone Central (Albion, Neb.), 13-0
The Cardinals knocked off Wahoo in the Class C1 state finals in a battle of unbeatens. Boone Central loses state MVP Parker Borer at running back. All-state defensive lineman Thomas Roberts (6-3, 200) is the top returning player.

17. Winona (Miss.), 15-0
Winona has won multiple league championships over the past decade but the Tigers picked up their first state championship in that span by going 15-0 last year at the 3A level. Joey Tompkins was the state coach of the year and he returns 3A state defensive player of the year Tyler Lockhart at linebacker.

18. Columbia (Miss.), 14-1
Runner-up to Louisville in Class 4A, Columbia is only three years removed from winning a state championship. The Wildcats return second team all-state quarterback Collin Haney along with receiver A.J. Lewis and Division 1 prospect Harrison Cluff at tackle. Mac McDaniel, an all-state pick as a sophomore, leads the defense at linebacker.

19. Jackson (Ala.), 11-1
The Aggies went undefeated during the regular season before falling in the second round of the Class 4A playoffs to Booker T. Washington (Tuskegee). Sophomore Ezavier Crowell returns at running back after earning second team all-state honors as a freshman. All-state lineman Nylun Williams (6-2, 265) also returns.

20. Liberty Center (Ohio), 15-1, 27.3
The Tigers reached the Division V championship game but fell to unbeaten Perry, 21-14. All-state honorable mention selection Zander Zeiter returns on the defensive line while Camden Kahle is back in the secondary. Junior Max Walker should be one of the division's top punters.

21. Stewartville (Minn.), 14-0
The Tigers won the Class AAA state title last year, the first football championship in school history. All-state quarterback Ayden Helter graduated but leading receiver Parker Wangen returns.

22. Toombs County (Lyons, Ga.), 11-2
The Bulldogs captured a region championship last year and advanced to the Class AA quarterfinals. Toombs County drops down to Class A Division 1 this year and returns all-state defensive back Lagonza Hayward and honorable mention all-state quarterback T.J. Stanley.

23. Lodi (Wis.), 15-0
The Division 4 state champions dominated on both sides of the ball last year but will have to find a number of replacements from a senior-dominated team, including all-state quarterback Mason Lane.

24. Williston (Fla.), 11-1
The Red Devils have seen a resurgence under head coach Robby Pruitt, who has coached in Florida the past two seasons after racking up over 300 career wins and eight state championships during two decades in Georgia and his first two decades starting out in Florida. Top rusher Jamari Williams returns (843 yards) as does junior defensive lineman Timothy Taylor Jr. (12 tackles for loss).

25. Williamsburg (Iowa), 12-1
The Class 3A state champions did not win their district but managed to win the final six games to capture the state crown. Class 3A state MVP Derek Weiskopff is off to Iowa but all-state linebacker Rayce Heitman returns to lead the defense

• Like 1

@Horsefly we have some interesting 3A, 4A & 5A matchups.

Franklin #1 3AI  and Gunter 3AII.  Both are 3A Powerhouses.  They play the following bigger Schools.  

#1 3AII Gunter vs. #14 5AII Anna.  This should be interesting.  3 Classes separate these 2.  State Champ vs. State Champ

#1 3AII Gunter vs. #3 4AI Celina

#1 3AI Frankin vs. #3 4AI Celina

#1 3A1 Franklin vs. #29 4AII China Spring

#1 3AI Franklin vs. LSSS 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6A vs. 4A Most of these matchups are bad teams in each class

Week 1

Garland vs. N. Dallas (This is not a good team)

S. Garland vs. Dallas LIncoln (both are bad in their classes)

Houston Math & Science vs. Houston Northside 

Houston Wisdom   at Houston Washington

Fort Bend Austin  vs Livingston   (FBA is a bad 6A team)

Fort Bend Clements at Fort Bend Crawford  (Crawford a new school) 2 bad teams

Austin Akins vs Austin Travis  (2 bad programs)

Week 2

El Paso Socorro at El Paso Ysleta  

Aldine  at Houston North Forest

Houston Math & Science vs Houston Washington

Week 3

Houston Math & Science  at Wharton

Fort Bend Dulles at El Campo

Austin Akins at Manor New Tech

Week 4

Houston Math & Science  at La Marque

Austin Akins  at Austin Northeast

Del Rio vs San Antonio Davenport

Week 6 Both of these are good 6A vs. Powerhouse 4A Teams. 

4-Oct    Harlingen at Cuero    4A - 15    7:00 PM
4-Oct    San Benito vs Carthage  (at Bay City)    This is late in the season for a cross classification game. 

• Like 1

Class 6A vs. OOS Teams

Week #1

30-Aug    El Paso Eastwood  at St. John Bosco, CA

31-Aug    DeSoto vs Creekside HS, GA

30-Aug    Temple vs Nuevo Leon, MX

Week #2

6-Sep    Dallas Jesuit  at Jesuit New Orleans, LA

Week #3

13-Sep    Rockwall-Heath    0    -    0    vs Cedar Grove, GA

14-Sep    Duncanville    0    -    0    vs St Frances Academy, MD

Week #4 

20-Sep    El Paso Eastlake  at Rio Rancho, NM

El Paso Pebble Hills  at Rio Rancho Cleveland, NM

20-Sep    Longview  vs Ruston, LA

20-Sep    San Benito  vs UANL Monterrey, MX

Week #5:

28-Sep    Midland Legacy    0    -    0    at Ruston, LA        
27-Sep    Odessa Permian    0    -    0    vs Carver, AL

Week #6

4-Oct    Midland    0    -    0    vs Santaluces High, FL

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Class 6A vs. OOS Teams

Week #1

30-Aug    El Paso Eastwood  at St. John Bosco, CA

31-Aug    DeSoto vs Creekside HS, GA

30-Aug    Temple vs Nuevo Leon, MX

Week #2

6-Sep    Dallas Jesuit  at Jesuit New Orleans, LA

Week #3

14-Sep    Duncanville    0    -    0    vs St Frances Academy, MD

Week #4 

20-Sep    El Paso Eastlake  at Rio Rancho, NM

El Paso Pebble Hills  at Rio Rancho Cleveland, NM

20-Sep    Longview  vs Ruston, LA

20-Sep    San Benito  vs UANL Monterrey, MX

Week #5:

28-Sep    Midland Legacy    0    -    0    at Ruston, LA        
27-Sep    Odessa Permian    0    -    0    vs Carver, AL

Week #6

4-Oct    Midland    0    -    0    vs Santaluces High, FL

Rockwall-Heath is playing Cedar Grove Ga. in week 3, September 13th also ☺️

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

@Horsefly we have some interesting 3A, 4A & 5A matchups.

Franklin #1 3AI  and Gunter 3AII.  Both are 3A Powerhouses.  They play the following bigger Schools.  

#1 3AII Gunter vs. #14 5AII Anna.  This should be interesting.  3 Classes separate these 2.  State Champ vs. State Champ

#1 3AII Gunter vs. #3 4AI Celina

#1 3AI Frankin vs. #3 4AI Celina

#1 3A1 Franklin vs. #29 4AII China Spring

#1 3AI Franklin vs. LSSS 

My picks in bold 

• Like 1

Week 6 Both of these are good 6A vs. Powerhouse 4A Teams. 

4-Oct    Harlingen at Cuero    4A - 15    7:00 PM
4-Oct    San Benito vs Carthage  (at Bay City)    This late in the season for a cross classification game. 

The only set of games I’m interested in. 

All other OOS Games by Classes 3A - 5A.  Some big Interstate Games

Week #1

30-Aug 5A Lubbock Monterey  at Choctaw, OK  (Monterey is not that good.  Choctaw top 15 6A in Ok)

30-Aug 5A  CC Flour Bluff    0    -    0    vs Mexico City, MX

30-Aug 5A Anna     vs Oakland, TN

31-Aug 5A  Melissa    0    -    0    vs Little Rock Parkview, AR  

30-Aug 4A Clint Mountain View    0    -    0    at Santa Teresa, NM

30-Aug 3A Canadian    0    -    0    at Elk City, OK

30-Aug    Santa Rosa    0    -    0    vs UAT-Tamaulipas, MX

Week #2
6-Sep 4A  Clint    0    -    0    at Gadsden, NM

7-Sep 4A  Dallas Kimball    0    -    0    vs Pinebluff, AR (at UAPB, AR

6-Sep 3A  Anthony    0    -    0    vs Cobre, NM

Week #3: 

13-Sep 5A El Paso Parkland    0    -    0    at Hobbs, NM

13-Sep 5A Lufkin    0    -    0    vs LR Southwest, AR (at Texas High

12-Sep 5A Texas City    0    -    0    vs UANL Monterrey, MX

13-Sep  4A Little Cypress-Mauriceville    0    -    0    vs Iowa, LA

13-Sep  4A CC Calallen    0    -    0    vs Mexico City, MX

13-Sep 4A Center    0    -    0    vs North Desoto, LA

13-Sep  3A  Amarillo River Road    0    -    0    at Guymon, OK

13-Sep  3A Childress    0    -    0    at Frederick, OK

13-Sep 3A  Bells    0    -    0    at Plainview, OK

Week #4

20-Sep 5A  Highland Park    0    -    0    vs Cherry Creek, CO        7:00 PM
20-Sep 5A Joshua    0    -    0    vs Elk City, OK

30-Aug 4A  Clint Mountain View    0    -    0    at Santa Teresa, NM

30-Aug 3A Sadler S&S Consolidated    0    -    0    at Comanche, OK

30-Aug 3A Santa Rosa    0    -    0    vs UAT-Tamaulipas, MX

Week #5

27-Sep 4A  Canyon    0    -    0    vs Piedra Vista, NM

27-Sep 4A  Port Lavaca Calhoun    0    -    0    vs Mexico City, MX

27-Sep    Brock    0    -    0    vs Eastlake, CA

Week #6

5-Oct  4A Stephenville    0    -    0    vs Ruston, LA (at Longview)

4-Oct  3A  Kermit    0    -    0    at Eunice, NM

4-Oct  3A Tulia    0    -    0    at Guymon, OK

22 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The only set of games I’m interested in. 

I agree the rest of those 4A & 6A games are against teams that are not good in either class.  Which now that I think about it might be interesting.  The 2 deepest classes in Texas we can determine who has the worst teams at the bottom 😁

• Haha 1

@Nolebull813 @I AM IRONMAN  I know you guys clown La. and now I see why.  3A Texas power Gunter will play KIncade a Private school in our SW Preparatory division.  KIncade is decent but not special.  4A power Jasper beat them.  Maxpreps had them #121 in Texas, but they kicked Archbishop Shaw, La. ass who was ranked #21 in La. Last year 21 - 14.  The Next Week Shaw Skull Fukkd Rummel 45 -28 😁.  I expect Stephenville a 4A Power to give Ruston a top 5 La. team all they can handle.  That is hilarious.  Kincade would have been a top 20 team in La.  And I expect 3A Gunter to beat them down this year.  That tells you all you need to know about the 2 States. Rummel beat JC last year.  Hilarious 

La. High School Football trying to get back to the Bayou after Messing with Texas 

sand-worm.gif

• Haha 5

@Nolebull813 @I AM IRONMAN  I know you guys clown La. and now I see why.  3A Texas power Gunter will play KIncade a Private school in our SW Preparatory division.  KIncade is decent but not special.  4A power Jasper beat them.  Maxpreps had them #121 in Texas, but they kicked Archbishop Shaw, La. ass who was ranked #21 in La. Last year 21 - 14.  The Next Week Shaw Skull Fukkd Rummel 45 -28 😁.  I expect Stephenville a 4A Power to give Ruston a top 5 La. team all they can handle.  That is hilarious.  Kincade would have been a top 20 team in La.  And I expect 3A Gunter to beat them down this year.  That tells you all you need to know about the 2 States. Rummel beat JC last year.  Hilarious 

La. High School Football trying to get back to the Bayou after Messing with Texas 

sand-worm.gif

DD 🫡

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DevilDog said:

sand-worm.gif

My name is Nolebull, and I approve this message!!!!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, DevilDog said:

sand-worm.gif

This is why people laugh at bubba bro dog and think he's a texas fool. 

First, the school is Houston Kinkaid .....NOT Kincade. That's just embarrassing. But what do you expect?

Second. (9-5) Archbishop Shaw NOLA beat State Champ Houston Kinkaid 21-12 in 2022. 👇 

It was a two year series. They split. Big fucking deal!

Screenshot_20240817-075739-267.png

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

This is why people laugh at bubba bro dog and think he's a texas fool. 

First, the school is Houston Kinkaid .....NOT Kincade. That's just embarrassing. But what do you expect?

Second. (9-5) Archbishop Shaw NOLA beat State Champ Houston Kinkaid 21-12 in 2022. 👇 

It was a two year series. They split. Big fucking deal!

Screenshot_20240817-075739-267.png

You go girl

• Haha 3