What up Texas?

DevilDog

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

https://www.on3.com/news/texas-high-school-football-rankings-preseason-top-25-teams/

Texas High School Top 25 teams

Thirty high school football teams from the state of Texas rank in the top 100 nationwide — led by the Duncanville Panthers. Below are the top 25 teams in Texas heading into the 2024 season.

Texas high school football has a reputation for having some of the best talent and programs in the country. That should continue in 2024

1. Duncanville
Rated as the No. 2 team in the country for the 2024 season, Duncanville should once again prove to be the team to beat in Texas high school football. Four prospects rank inside the top 150 in the 2025 cycle for the state of Texas, led by an electric offensive combo of Five-Star Plus+ Oregon wide receiver commit Dakorien Moore and Alabama five-star quarterback commit Keelon Russell. On the defensive side of the ball, the Panthers are led by a pair of SMU commits: safety Tyren Polley and cornerback Javion Holiday. The junior class is well-represented as well with four-star EDGE Kevin Ford and four-star athlete Zachery Turner.

2. DeSoto
Coming off of a perfect 16-0 season, the Eagles rank No. 3 nationally and second in the state of Texas. Four-star running back Deondrae Riden should lead a powerful rushing attack as he gets set to head off to Texas A&M next year. Four-star wide receiver Daylon Singleton committed to SMU last fall and is another star offensive weapon for DeSoto. Three-star quarterback Kelden Ryan will lead the offense, while the defense is boosted by the likes of three-star safety Sael Reyes and three-star TCU linebacker commit Keylan Abrams.

3. Southlake Carroll
Moving right on down the national ratings to No. 4, Southlake Carroll has long been a football powerhouse in Texas. The Dragons finished 2023 with a loss to DeSoto to cap off a 13-2 year. Tennessee four-star tight end commit Jack Van Dorselaer should be an imposing big target for the Southlake Carroll offense. Four-star wide receiver Brock Boyd is committed to TCU and headlines the junior class fo the Dragons. USC three-star running back commit Riley Wormley and three-star Baylor commit Davis Penn round out a dynamic backfield.

4. North Shore (Houston)
Houston North Shore went on a 16-0 run before being knocked off by Duncanville in the final game of the season. The Mustangs feature multiple blue-chip prospects, including Five-Star Plus+ Ohio State cornerback commit Devin Sanchez — the top defensive back in America. This loaded defensive also includes top-100 LSU linebacker commit Charles Ross and three-star Arkansas linebacker commit Nigel Pringle. Four-star wide receiver Quanell Farrakhan Jr. is committed to Colorado and joined on the offense by Pitt offensive tackle commit Jordan Fields.

5. Atascocita (Humble)
Atascocita’s 2023 season was ended by the aforementioned Houston North Shore in a close 34-28 loss. Top Eagles include Oklahoma four-star running back commit Tory Blaylock and talented junior running back Cardae Mack. Atascocita has three Texas top-10 teams on its 2024 regular season schedule in Katy, Austin Westlake and Houston North Shore.

6. Aledo
The 5A Division I champions, Aledo capped a 16-0 perfect season with a blowout win over Smithson Valley in 2023. Junior wide receiver Kaydon Finley is one of the top prospects in the country, ranking No. 69 nationally and No. 9 among wideouts. Finley is joined on the Bearcats offense by four-star junior running back Raycine Guillory.

7. Guyer (Denton)
Denton Guyer will open up its season at home against Aledo at the end of this month. The Wildcats are led by Oklahoma’s future signal-caller, four-star quarterback Kevin Sperry. Sperry played his high school ball in Oklahoma last season for Carl Albert, throwing for 31 touchdowns and 3,564 yards. Junior safety Kaedyn Cobbs is a top-100 prospect in the 2026 On300.

8. Longview
Longview lost to Lancaster 27-24 to end an 11-2 2023 campaign. The Lobos’ only other loss in 2023 came at the start of the year in a 2-point loss on the road at McKinney. This year, Longview opens with a pair of road games at Lufkin and Marshall.

9. Westlake (Austin)
Austin Westlake went on a stellar 14-game run in 2023 before its season was cut short by Houston North Shore in a 23-14 loss. This year, a showdown with Atascocita is looming in week three for the Chaparrals. Three-star quarterback Rees Wise is just a junior but is emerging as a coveted passer in the 2026 class. Duke has landed a commitment from Westlake three-star linebacker Elliott Schaper on the defensive side of the ball.

10. Katy
Katy ended last season’s campaign on a heartwrenching note with an overtime loss to Cypress Cy-Fair. Now, they’ll look to bounce back in 2024 with a schedule that includes Texas top-10 team Humble Atascocita. The Tigers’ offensive line is led by a pair of Power 4 commits in future North Carolina interior offensive lineman Byron Nelson and Texas Tech IOL commit Patrick McMath.

11. Summer Creek (Humble)
12. Allen
13. North Crowley (Fort Worth)
14. Prosper
15. Byron Nelson (Trophy Club)

16. Vandegrift (Austin)
17. King (Houston)
18. Cedar Hill
19. Dickinson
20. Rockwall

Interesting, I think they’ve missed the mark on a few, but fortunately a few of them play so we’ll see soon. 

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Interesting, I think they’ve missed the mark on a few, but fortunately a few of them play so we’ll see soon. 

Didn't expect Lobo to be that high.  Interesting #8 in Tx will play LA. #1 Ruston.  I dont see Lobo being close to the top 5 in State.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Didn't expect Lobo to be that high.  Interesting #8 in Tx will play LA. #1 Ruston.  I dont see Lobo being close to the top 5 in State.

Agree. That was one of the teams I felt was misranked (Longview, Guyer, SLC, Aledo, Atascocita are too high, NC, NS are too low) .  But LV will be solid though

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Of course you don't, bubba bro ..... but you see Ruston #1 here, right?

Clown show!

Put everybody where you want them! 

17 hours ago, DevilDog said:

They may not be the best in their own District...They'll be up near the top though.  Most of Longview's threats don't play Defense well.

I'm more curious to see how the Forney Duo will deal with the Rockwall Duo.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 12:55 PM, DevilDog said:

1. Duncanville
Rated as the No. 2 team in the country for 2024 

2. DeSoto
 the Eagles rank No. 3 nationally 

3. Southlake Carroll
Moving right on down the national ratings to No. 4

What poll has these three teams ranked 2,3 and 4 in the entire nation? Mater Dei must be #1, but those three ahead of Gorman, SJB and IMG? I could, maybe, buy DV or DS, but not SLC being ranked ahead of those other three. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

What poll has these three teams ranked 2,3 and 4 in the entire nation? Mater Dei must be #1, but those three ahead of Gorman, SJB and IMG? I could, maybe, buy DV or DS, but not SLC being ranked ahead of those other three. 

Don’t be hatin’ on the Cabbage Patch Kids 😊

It is Massey. I don’t know what they are smoking but I can agree with you. Carroll probably doesn’t have any business being ranked near #4 in Texas, let alone national.

Unless they acquired all of Euless Trinity’s Tongans or something. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeaShells21 said:

Don’t be hatin’ on the Cabbage Patch Kids 😊

It is Massey. I don’t know what they are smoking but I can agree with you. Carroll probably doesn’t have any business being ranked near #4 in Texas, let alone national.

Unless they acquired all of Euless Trinity’s Tongans or something. 

Yeah their national ranking of some TX teams are out of whack. Not particularly fond of their instate ranking. They missed on several teams 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

They may not be the best in their own District...They'll be up near the top though.  Most of Longview's threats don't play Defense well.

I'm more curious to see how the Forney Duo will deal with the Rockwall Duo.

Exactly I haven't seen any poll but this one with them ranked high in State.   They are nowhere near the top 10 in Dave Campbell's preason rankings.  Again they are no where close to the top 5 teams in Texas.  

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Yeah their national ranking of some TX teams are out of whack. Not particularly fond of their instate ranking. They missed on several teams 

I bet that last game with DeSoto they had at the end of last season made their power rating spike which placed them high in Texas this preseason since Massey was the poll that placed DeSoto #1 last year. 

Game outcome appears to be a major weight with Massey’s algorithm.

Then, with DeSoto and Duncanville dismantling Summer Creek and North Shore the way they did, I can see how Carroll snuck into the picture.

Also, since Massey’s site incorporates actual links through the teams’ schedules and win/loss daisy chains. I really think East St. Louis beating St. Frances Academy, then Atascocita beating East St. Louis and St. Frances playing Mater Dei close weighted Texas’ high power ratings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

That poll is hyping up the Sneaky Blondes because they played Desoto close.  They have no business being THAT high.

With that said...Don't Sleep on them.  They're out to "Protect The Tradition."

(Refs included of course)

#NeverForget #FoxBowl #Skyline #YesIUsedHashTags.

8 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

I bet that last game with DeSoto they had at the end of last season made their power rating spike which placed them high in Texas this preseason since Massey was the poll that placed DeSoto #1 last year. 

Game outcome appears to be a major weight with Massey’s algorithm.

Then, with DeSoto and Duncanville dismantling Summer Creek and North Shore the way they did, I can see how Carroll snuck into the picture.

Also, since Massey’s site incorporates actual links through the teams’ schedules and win/loss daisy chains. I really think East St. Louis beating St. Frances Academy, then Atascocita beating East St. Louis and St. Frances playing Mater Dei close weighted Texas’ high power ratings.

That’s true about SLC, but they lost most of their defense and QB to graduation. NS, as an example, returns 14 starters(incl QB)  along with a few key transfers.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued with SLC this season.  Penn(Baylor) and Wormley(USC) are high quality RBs.  As a backfield, you will not find many better.  Working a new QB into the mix and more of a dual threat guy in Angelo Renda.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Horsefly said:

That’s true about SLC, but they lost most of their defense and QB to graduation. NS, as an example, returns 14 starters(incl QB)  along with a few key transfers.

I feel like if Carroll can get their QB in order, they’ll be the usual threat. Pending the (RB powers.) Is losing their defense really going to stop Carroll from being Carroll?

#ImJustGoingToScoreMorePointsThanYou

• Like 1

https://www.on3.com/news/high-school-football-rankings-states-with-the-most-top-100-teams/

The 2024 high school football season is set to begin in less than two weeks. Friday nights will soon be the focal point for many.

Preseason rankings are out, stacking up the top competition across the nation. According to the Massey Ratings, a model that combines statistics and ratings such as offensive and defensive power, as well home field advantage and strength of schedule, the top 100 teams in the country are featured throughout 22 states.

The state of Texas reigns supreme, while the usual suspects — Georgia, Florida and California — check in behind. Twelve states have at least three schools inside the top 100.

Texas in league of its own with 30 teams represented

Everything is bigger in Texas and that certainly includes high school football. Five of the top 10 teams in the Massey Ratings are in the Lone Star State, including: Duncanville (No. 2), DeSoto (No. 3), Southlake Carroll (No. 4), North Shore (No. 6) and Atascocita (No. 9).

An additional seven schools are featured throughout the top 30. Aledo checks in at No. 11, while Guyer (No. 13) and Longview (No. 19) are also near the top of the pack. Texas is represented more than Georgia, Florida and California combined:

• Haha 1

For what it's worth here are all the Texas teams in their National 100 rankings.  The cool thing is you can click on the team see their schedules and predictions for their games along with info on the teams  Don't know where 4A Carthage should be in Texas but they are loaded this year.  Really good Coaches son at QB and one of the best RBs in the State, one of the best LBs in Texas and a really good OT.  Carthage is more talented than LV this year.  Perplexed on them being so high on Lobo.  They lost a lot and I dont think they have kids high on the recruiting radars as in the past.  They are Longview so we shall see.

Duncanville (No. 2 NATL.)
DeSoto (No. 3)
Southlake Carroll (No. 4)
North Shore (No. 6)
Atascocita (No. 9)
Aledo (No. 11)
Guyer (No. 13)
Longview (No. 19)
Westlake (No. 21)
Katy (No. 26)
Summer Creek (No. 30)
Allen (No. 31)
North Crowley (No. 35)
Prosper (No. 37)
Byron Nelson (No. 40)
Vandegrift (No. 41)
King (No. 44)
Cedar Hill (No. 48)
Rockwall (No. 56)
Dickinson (No. 57)
Lovejoy (No. 61)
Klein Collins (No. 62)
Woodlands (No. 67)
Westfield (No. 68)
Coppell (No. 83)
Lewisville (No. 85)
Carthage (No. 86)
South Oak Cliff (No. 87)
Lake Travis (No. 88)
McKinney (No. 90)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

I feel like if Carroll can get their QB in order, they’ll be the usual threat. Pending the (RB powers.) Is losing their defense really going to stop Carroll from being Carroll?

#ImJustGoingToScoreMorePointsThanYou

Carroll’s offense will be solid but having a good or experienced defense will keep them out of a title.   They simply haven’t reloaded like the top teams. There really is a big difference between the top programs and others and I think it will be more apparent this year. The amount of transfers DS has gotten so far is incomparable to any other TX program.  (My guess is roughly 10-15)  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Carroll’s offense will be solid but having a good or experienced defense will keep them out of a title.   They simply haven’t reloaded like the top teams. There really is a big difference between the top programs and others and I think it will be more apparent this year. The amount of transfers DS has gotten so far is incomparable to any other TX program.  (My guess is roughly 10-15)  

Even North Crowley is getting a good amount of transfers, they already had 12 starters returning but added 6-10 transfers, imo at least 6 of them will start or be significant contributors.  

On 8/3/2024 at 6:58 PM, DevilDog said:

Maybe 15-20. As usual, the Qb position will be the weak spot.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Maybe 15-20. As usual, the Qb position will be the weak spot.

Yeah Lobos usually reload.  They have one of the toughest preseason schedules.  Will be battle tested. WK 3 - 6 they play some really good teams.  3 at Lobo Stadium.  Would like to see them and SO .  Surratt got a pretty loaded 4A bunch.  He claims he reached out to 3 states for a game before finding 6A San Benito.  I can't find where this game will be played. They are 525 miles apart.