What up Texas?

DevilDog

"I’m still 100 percent committed,” Jackson recently told Horns247 recruiting analyst Mike Roach. “Coach Herman showed me a lot of love. The staff and the team, it ain’t nothing but love down there.”

"Indications are that Texas will take Jackson initially as a quarterback, and that the 6-foot-2, 219-pounder could stick there or wind up elsewhere, depending on development," writes 247Sports Midlands Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks in his evaluation of Jackson's talent and up-side. "As a quarterback, Jackson possesses good size and outstanding bulk. He's built like a linebacker prospect and plays that way with the ball in his hands. He is true dual-threat quarterback with impressive running ability. In fact, his 40 time was verified at 4.61 at The Opening Dallas regional March 3 from the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. That is an eyebrow-raising time for a 220-pounder, especially a quarterback, which is where Jackson competed at that particular even

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

"I’m still 100 percent committed,” Jackson recently told Horns247 recruiting analyst Mike Roach. “Coach Herman showed me a lot of love. The staff and the team, it ain’t nothing but love down there.”

"Indications are that Texas will take Jackson initially as a quarterback, and that the 6-foot-2, 219-pounder could stick there or wind up elsewhere, depending on development," writes 247Sports Midlands Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks in his evaluation of Jackson's talent and up-side. "As a quarterback, Jackson possesses good size and outstanding bulk. He's built like a linebacker prospect and plays that way with the ball in his hands. He is true dual-threat quarterback with impressive running ability. In fact, his 40 time was verified at 4.61 at The Opening Dallas regional March 3 from the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. That is an eyebrow-raising time for a 220-pounder, especially a quarterback, which is where Jackson competed at that particular even

What do you think of DVs chances this week?  

23 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

What do you think of DVs chances this week?  

Man the Redskin and I both have reservations.  You know she loves Coach Samples (Skyline) 🤘.   I think the Defense can keep them in it and the RB can run on N.S.  But I think the one team that can go athlete per athlete is N.S. with them.  I don't see them running away from those kids without J.J. and his threat to keep it.  I hope I am wrong but I think they lose a close one again against the GHA.   For that Freshmen being in McKinney though helluva nice in front of 12,500 is not the same as this 45,000+.  Last year this was the last game  and this year mid Game the crowd will be bigger.   How does he respond with this environment?  Like non other in HS Football anywhere. 

Image result for texas high school football playoff attendance

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I would have said DV before the injury. Now I have no idea. I think the DV defense is the one defense in TX than might give NS trouble. NS better leave it all on the field. Evans needs to run like he did last night towards the end of the game when they started using him more to move the chains. But the DV and LT defenses are 2 different animals.

• Like 2

Lets look at the rest of the State.  As those of us here in the now.  There are some incredible match ups in all classes.  

This is one talented team with a Helluva athlete at QB. Stowers and the RB will be a tough out.    DFW football is helluva tough in Texas. 

@Horsefly I remember about 5 or 6 years ago you bringing me up to speed on GHA and S.E. Texas Football.  Especially Westfield and WOS.  

Just now, DevilDog said:

Lets look at the rest of the State.  As those of us here in the now.  There are some incredible match ups in all classes.  

This is one talented team with a Helluva athlete at QB. Stowers and the RB will be a tough out.    DFW football is helluva tough in Texas. 

@Horsefly I remember about 5 or 6 years ago you bringing me up to speed on GHA and S.E. Texas Football.  Especially Westfield and WOS.  

Guyer will be a tough out vs WL.  I favor Guyer slightly

Of course 6AD1-I still favor DV.  Those kids will rally behind the youngster and ensure him he’s not out there alone.  There are 21 other players to help win the game.  

5AD1 might be my favorite with Ryan and Shadow creek.  Ryan I think gets the win 

Then 4AD1 with la Vega vs Carthage.  I like la Vega in a close one.  Athletes all over the field and matchup size wise with Carthage 

‘Unfinished business’: Duncanville drops Rockwall to set up rematch with Galena Park North Shore in state championship

Star Duncanville QB Ja’Quinden Jackson might have torn his left ACL, according to coach Reginald Samples.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/12/14/duncanville-advances-to-second-straight-championship-game-with-56-14-win-over-rockwall/

Duncanville Panthers head coach Reginald Samples speaks to his team after a win over Rockwall in the Class 6A Division I state semifinal football matchup on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019 at McKinney ISD Stadium in McKinney, Texas. (Ryan Michalesko/The Dallas Morning News)
Duncanville Panthers head coach Reginald Samples speaks to his team after a win over Rockwall in the Class 6A Division I state semifinal football matchup on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019 at McKinney ISD Stadium in McKinney, Texas. (Ryan Michalesko/The Dallas Morning News)(Ryan Michalesko / Staff Photographer)

MCKINNEY — Duncanville’s mantra throughout 2019 has been “unfinished business.”

The phrase is a reference to last year’s Class 6A Division I state championship loss, when Galena Park North Shore escaped with the first-place trophy on a 45-yard Hail Mary as time expired.

The opportunity to “finish” their mission is finally reality.SPONSORED CONTENT

After opening a 35-0 lead in the first 17 minutes, Duncanville beat Rockwall 56-14 on Saturday in the Class 6A Division I state semifinal to earn a second consecutive state title berth.

The Panthers will face North Shore at 3 p.m. Saturday at AT&T Stadium in a rematch of one of the most iconic state championship finishes in Texas high school football history.

The two powerhouse programs have ranked high in state and national polls throughout the season. Each side also returned top players from last year’s showcase.

The many who’ve spent the offseason and fall looking forward to a potential rematch — including players and coaches from both teams — will get their wish, 364 days later.

“Three seconds last year from [winning] state, it changed our perspective for life,” Duncanville safety Chris Thompson Jr. said. “We know that we know that in everything we do, we have to go hard.”

In response to the heartbreak, Duncanville dominated competition this season, winning 15 straight games, several against top Dallas-area and national competition.

But the atmosphere on the Panthers’ sideline for most of Saturday wasn’t so celebratory.

That’s because quarterback Ja’Quinden Jackson, a senior committed to Texas, left the game with a left knee injury late in the second quarter. Duncanville coach Reginald Samples said Jackson might have a torn left ACL, but he likely wouldn’t know for sure until Monday.

Jackson’s legs were swiped from under him on a tackle when the 6-2, 219-pound dual-threat star rushed for five yards a few minutes before halftime. He landed on his back, grimacing in pain, while trainers tended to him on the field. Teammates carried him off, and Jackson appeared able to put some weight on his leg as he moved toward the locker room.

Jackson, who passed for 87 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 90 yards and another score, spent the second half on the sideline, using crutches with a cast around his leg

In his absence, Duncanville didn’t power past Rockwall so forcefully as it did in the first quarter, when four players scored touchdowns of at least 59 yards, including a 68-yard interception return by defensive lineman Tyler Quinn on Rockwall’s first offense play.

But freshman backup quarterback Chris Parson scored two touchdowns — one rushing and one passing — and running back Trysten Smith finished with 151 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries.

“[Coaches] told me just to relax,” Parson said. “They just wanted me to let the game come to me. They didn’t want me to force anything.”

Cornerback Ennis Rakestraw Jr. also shined. The senior shadowed Rockwall star receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba throughout the game and held Smith-Njigba to five catches for 37 yards.

Duncanville brought safety help — often Thailand Scott — to wherever Smith-Njigba lined up to ensure the Ohio State commit finished with 5,403 career receiving yards — 22 yards short of surpassing 5,424.

That mark was the state’s all-time career receiving yards record, set by Burnet’s Jordan Shipley, entering Saturday before Frisco Lone Star wide receiver Marvin Mims Jr. surpassed the mark in a Class 5A Division I state semifinal loss to Denton Ryan, and finished his career with 5,485 yards.

Smith-Njigba, an Ohio State commit, drew several pass interference calls that helped extend drives in Rockwall’s first state semifinal appearance since 1987.

In the regional final last week, Duncanville, playing without Thompson at safety, allowed Southlake Carroll to tally 511 yards, the most against the Panthers’ defense in at least two seasons.

But Thompson suited up Saturday and with an aggressiveness and determination similar to last year’s state-runner-up squad, Duncanville earned the chance to accomplish several longtime goals:

To win Duncanville’s first state championship since 1998, to add a state title to coach Reginald Samples’ legendary resume and to finish the “business” players and coaches have eyed all season.

“I’m still numb,” Samples said. “This was a big game for us. I’m excited, but got to try to figure out ... the quarterback [situation] — what do we do? So there’s a lot of stuff going on, but I’m very happy.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

‘Unfinished business’: Duncanville drops Rockwall to set up rematch with Galena Park North Shore in state championship

Star Duncanville QB Ja’Quinden Jackson might have torn his left ACL, according to coach Reginald Samples.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/12/14/duncanville-advances-to-second-straight-championship-game-with-56-14-win-over-rockwall/

Duncanville Panthers head coach Reginald Samples speaks to his team after a win over Rockwall in the Class 6A Division I state semifinal football matchup on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019 at McKinney ISD Stadium in McKinney, Texas. (Ryan Michalesko/The Dallas Morning News)
Duncanville Panthers head coach Reginald Samples speaks to his team after a win over Rockwall in the Class 6A Division I state semifinal football matchup on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019 at McKinney ISD Stadium in McKinney, Texas. (Ryan Michalesko/The Dallas Morning News)(Ryan Michalesko / Staff Photographer)

MCKINNEY — Duncanville’s mantra throughout 2019 has been “unfinished business.”

The phrase is a reference to last year’s Class 6A Division I state championship loss, when Galena Park North Shore escaped with the first-place trophy on a 45-yard Hail Mary as time expired.

The opportunity to “finish” their mission is finally reality.SPONSORED CONTENT

After opening a 35-0 lead in the first 17 minutes, Duncanville beat Rockwall 56-14 on Saturday in the Class 6A Division I state semifinal to earn a second consecutive state title berth.

The Panthers will face North Shore at 3 p.m. Saturday at AT&T Stadium in a rematch of one of the most iconic state championship finishes in Texas high school football history.

The two powerhouse programs have ranked high in state and national polls throughout the season. Each side also returned top players from last year’s showcase.

The many who’ve spent the offseason and fall looking forward to a potential rematch — including players and coaches from both teams — will get their wish, 364 days later.

“Three seconds last year from [winning] state, it changed our perspective for life,” Duncanville safety Chris Thompson Jr. said. “We know that we know that in everything we do, we have to go hard.”

In response to the heartbreak, Duncanville dominated competition this season, winning 15 straight games, several against top Dallas-area and national competition.

But the atmosphere on the Panthers’ sideline for most of Saturday wasn’t so celebratory.

That’s because quarterback Ja’Quinden Jackson, a senior committed to Texas, left the game with a left knee injury late in the second quarter. Duncanville coach Reginald Samples said Jackson might have a torn left ACL, but he likely wouldn’t know for sure until Monday.

Jackson’s legs were swiped from under him on a tackle when the 6-2, 219-pound dual-threat star rushed for five yards a few minutes before halftime. He landed on his back, grimacing in pain, while trainers tended to him on the field. Teammates carried him off, and Jackson appeared able to put some weight on his leg as he moved toward the locker room.

Jackson, who passed for 87 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 90 yards and another score, spent the second half on the sideline, using crutches with a cast around his leg

In his absence, Duncanville didn’t power past Rockwall so forcefully as it did in the first quarter, when four players scored touchdowns of at least 59 yards, including a 68-yard interception return by defensive lineman Tyler Quinn on Rockwall’s first offense play.

But freshman backup quarterback Chris Parson scored two touchdowns — one rushing and one passing — and running back Trysten Smith finished with 151 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries.

“[Coaches] told me just to relax,” Parson said. “They just wanted me to let the game come to me. They didn’t want me to force anything.”

Cornerback Ennis Rakestraw Jr. also shined. The senior shadowed Rockwall star receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba throughout the game and held Smith-Njigba to five catches for 37 yards.

Duncanville brought safety help — often Thailand Scott — to wherever Smith-Njigba lined up to ensure the Ohio State commit finished with 5,403 career receiving yards — 22 yards short of surpassing 5,424.

That mark was the state’s all-time career receiving yards record, set by Burnet’s Jordan Shipley, entering Saturday before Frisco Lone Star wide receiver Marvin Mims Jr. surpassed the mark in a Class 5A Division I state semifinal loss to Denton Ryan, and finished his career with 5,485 yards.

Smith-Njigba, an Ohio State commit, drew several pass interference calls that helped extend drives in Rockwall’s first state semifinal appearance since 1987.

In the regional final last week, Duncanville, playing without Thompson at safety, allowed Southlake Carroll to tally 511 yards, the most against the Panthers’ defense in at least two seasons.

But Thompson suited up Saturday and with an aggressiveness and determination similar to last year’s state-runner-up squad, Duncanville earned the chance to accomplish several longtime goals:

To win Duncanville’s first state championship since 1998, to add a state title to coach Reginald Samples’ legendary resume and to finish the “business” players and coaches have eyed all season.

“I’m still numb,” Samples said. “This was a big game for us. I’m excited, but got to try to figure out ... the quarterback [situation] — what do we do? So there’s a lot of stuff going on, but I’m very happy.”

Good write up.  

• Like 1

Here is the Schedule for Next Week

2019-2020 Schedule

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 18
Conference Time Teams Tickets
1A Six-Man Division 1 11:00 am McLean(13-1-0) vs. Blum(12-2)

Ticket cost: $15
1A Six-Man Division 2 2:00 pm Matador Motley County(11-3-0) vs.Richland Springs(12-0)
2A Division 1 7:00 pm Post(15-0) vs. Refugio(15-0)
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 19
2A Division 2 11:00 am Hamlin(12-2) vs. Mart(12-3-0)

3A Division 1 3:00 pm Pottsboro(15-0-0) vs. Grandview(14-1-0)
3A Division 2 7:00 pm Gunter(14-1) vs. Omaha Pewitt(14-1)
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 20
4A Division 1 11:00 am Waco La Vega(14-1) vs. Carthage(15-0-0)

4A Division 2 3:00 pm Texarkana Pleasant Grove(14-1) vs. Wimberley(12-3)
5A Division 1 7:00 pm Denton Ryan(15-0-0) vs. Alvin Shadow Creek(15-0-0)
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21
5A Division 2 11:00 am Aledo(14-1) vs. Fort Bend Marshall(14-1)

6A Division 1 3:00 pm Duncanville(15-0) vs. Galena Park North Shore(14-1)
6A Division 2 7:00 pm Denton Guyer(14-1) vs. Austin Westlake(14-1)

I'm a homer, I'm hoping Shadow Creek can to it this year. 2nd year of varsity ball and only one loss, last year in the final. I think most people were saying Lone Star until yesterday. We know Ryan is for real now. WL, we don't know completely about yet, you can't get anything from the Taylor game. Taylor got a good draw in a weaker 6a D2 region 3 this year. First semifinal for them, most knew what the outcome would be yesterday. I would give the nod to Guyer, but wouldn't be surprised if WL wins. Of course I want FB Marshall over Aledo, this should be a good one. La Vega and Carthage, just going to have to watch and enjoy this one. The other game I have interest in is 2a D1. Come on Post. I don't know how many times I have driven through this town on my way to and from Lubbock. It would be great for them.

• Like 3

Paul Pewitt's Coach.  bEast Texas 3A DII.  He is a former Player at Sulphur Springs and their DC.  He is the coach and athletic Director at Pewitt.  If you get to see this Wing T team.  Pay attention to #3 that kid is one tough dude and they run, run and run. 

After beating East Benard and moving on to State but giving props to their County Counterparts and bEast Texas Blueblood DF.