Does anybody recall Grayson winning the National Championship

ORabidOne

I don't recall Grayson getting any mnc's fpr 2016. I do know that they beat Colquitt, who had a piece of the 2015 mnc by a a good margin.

Maybe they thought it was like a wrestling belt? Beat the champ, take the belt? 

tenor.gif.4edff962bcf9a55985826da17ab6ee08.gif

I mean, we know that isn't how it works, but, they may not. We should send Rab up to tell them. 

tumblr_inline_p8bceqh7Ie1qewv88_540.gif.7aace6eceafefec7be29ce3a33e6cf30.gif

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

I believe that they were #2! HELL, we'd have TWELVE nattys if Colquitt hadn't upended #2 Valdosta on national television in 1989, 7-0! The Cats went on to beat us in the Hog Pen in the REGION playoffs, and subsequently the state title, on a FRIGID night in Athens, beating Clarke Central 33-7!

33-13 you big dummy. It was 26 at kickoff, the ground was frozen, ice everywhere. Great fun. Assuming one appreciates  Thinsulate and Goretex.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Man..... Wouldn't it be great if Valdosta could return to their glory days and get back to winning consecutive state championships and mythical national championships? 

Their footprint no longer extends Macon to Tallahassee. Until 1972, Georgia was a statewide open enrollment state. And Valdosta used that, and being an Independent City School System,to get any kid from the county they wanted of course (Lowndes really sucked) Their 1971 National Championship team was probably the real deal 19 of 22 starters signed with SEC, ACC schools, or Georgia Tech

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

Their footprint no longer extends Macon to Tallahassee. Until 1972, Georgia was a statewide open enrollment state. And Valdosta used that, and being an Independent City School System,to get any kid from the county they wanted of course (Lowndes really sucked) Their 1971 National Championship team was probably the real deal 19 of 22 starters signed with SEC, ACC schools, or Georgia Tech

So the truth comes out about the great dosta from ga. They were just another recruited up team. They are probably the first ones to start it too. Shame (bell rings) shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

But from 1978 to 1998 they had like another 8 state titles; what do you blame that success on???

36 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

Gotcha. I feel like they need another coach/coaching staff in they wanna get back to their glory days (Rodemaker and the OC can stay). I mean, if I could bring back Bazemore and/or Hyder, then I'd do it in a heartbeat. But yeah, that 71 team was the real deal from what I heard. 

41 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

But from 1978 to 1998 they had like another 8 state titles; what do you blame that success on???

Hyder's tems were elite, no question. Just not as dominating as Bazemores last group to cycle through. But he never recruited like Bazemore.  Didn't really bust balls recruiting the county. Lowndes starting getting players to hang around when thye hired Joe Wilson. Some down there still believe he should have replaced Bazemore. Had more of a "beat the skin off their ass" approach.Tough guy. More Kirby Smart than Mark Richt. Sort of like Bazemore saying, after Valdosta dropped 70 on some team, " It's not my fault they has a lousy football team."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

So the truth comes out about the great dosta from ga. They were just another recruited up team. They are probably the first ones to start it too. Shame (bell rings) shame. 

No, but they drew the blueprint. Living in Merritt Island for a few years,  in Florida it was common knowledge that they were on another level And they were balanced. 1971: 3015 in the air, 2988 on the ground, 627 points, 13 games. From 1962 through 1986, every one of their starting quartebacks played Division-1 .

Hey Padre, the Valdosta kids in the 20/20 show from 1989 would have beaten, the shit out of any team they've had since 1998.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

No, but they drew the blueprint. And they were balanced. 1971: 3015 in the air, 2988 on the ground, 627 points, 13 games. From 1962 through 1986, every one of their starting quartebacks played Division-1 players.

Hey Padre, the Valdosta kids in the 20/20 show from 1989 would have beaten, the shit out of any team they've had since 1998.

I remember watching it years ago.  I have it in my queue to rewatch this weekend.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JCGIII said:

33-13 you big dummy. It was 26 at kickoff, the ground was frozen, ice everywhere. Great fun. Assuming one appreciates  Thinsulate and Goretex.

I don't count the last score against the cheerleaders, with seconds to  go on a fifty yard pass play!

As an aside, it was funny as hell when the Clarke Central student body lined up on each side of the path going down the hill that the CATS were to take, to try the intimidation deal! And the Valdosta Wildcats came down the steps of the visitor's stands in surreal fashion!

9 hours ago, JCGIII said:

Hyder's tems were elite, no question. Just not as dominating as Bazemores last group to cycle through. But he never recruited like Bazemore.  Didn't really bust balls recruiting the county. Lowndes starting getting players to hang around when thye hired Joe Wilson. Some down there still believe he should have replaced Bazemore. Had more of a "beat the skin off their ass" approach.Tough guy. More Kirby Smart than Mark Richt. Sort of like Bazemore saying, after Valdosta dropped 70 on some team, " It's not my fault they has a lousy football team."

In 1971, the CATS hung 62 on UNDEFEATED Avondale in the finals, winning 62-12, when they never punted! And the Avondale coach was alleged to have told the Hotlanna Urinal-Constipation, that he didn't think it was right for Bazemore to embarrass a buncha kids like that, by running up the score! BAZE retorted, that if you call using 45 players in the first half, and 83 in the game running up the score, he was GUILTY! He went on to say that he'd rather play Avondale ANYDAY, than his region opponents of Monroe, Albany, Tift, Dougherty, Westover, and Moultrie again!

8 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

I don't count the last score against the cheerleaders, with seconds to  go on a fifty yard pass play!

As an aside, it was funny as hell when the Clarke Central student body lined up on each side of the path going down the hill that the CATS were to take, to try the intimidation deal! And the Valdosta Wildcats came down the steps of the visitor's stands in surreal fashion!

At which stage in the action did you stop keeping score vs South Panola? 

Jeff Fisher of High School Football America names Grayson the number 1 public football program in 2016. 

http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/grayson-1-high-school-football-america-public-school-top-25/

You may not like it but it is as valid as the one he gave Colquitt in 2015.

By the way, it isn't hard to find this out.  A quick Google search will do it for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, Fred said:

Jeff Fisher of High School Football America names Grayson the number 1 public football program in 2016. 

http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/grayson-1-high-school-football-america-public-school-top-25/

By the way, it isn't hard to find this out.  A quick Google search will do it for you.

Totally missed this one. Congrats on being the best public school team in 2016. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Do y'all really sound like the coach and announcers in this video?  With the accent.

I don't. Then again, i was the child of a corporate gypsy, and lived in 4 states, and attended 9 schools. But I'm surprised at how quickly newcomers begin stretching vowels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred said:

I don't believe too many squads, public or private would have had a Sunday stroll against Grayson in 2016. With better ball protection IMG would have been beatable. Not saying y'all would have won, but aside from Mond, they couldn't do anything. Had Conn stuck around, or say Grayson had hired Hal Lamb or Bob Sphire,  I believe the Rams would have beat IMG's head in.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Do y'all really sound like the coach and announcers in this video?  With the accent.

Hell no... 

I mean the older people from the south yes but that accent is starting to die out... 

Alot of Southerners now are mostly descendents of transplants... 

Me included... 

Hawg is the only person that has actually heard my voice and he thinks I sound like a Californian... 

My mom's from Long Beach and she sounds like a surfer when she's calm, sounds like a cold-blooded thug when she's pissed ... 

My dad's gone but hes from NJ and he sounded like he was gonna give you stone boots at all times...

1 minute ago, JCGIII said:

I don't believe too many squads, public or private would have had a Sunday stroll against Grayson in 2016. With better ball protection IMG would have been beatable. Not saying y'all would have won, but aside from Mond, they couldn't do anything. Had Conn stuck around, or say Grayson had hired Hal Lamb or Bob Sphire,  I believe the Rams would have beat IMG's head in.

Hal Lamb is one of those coaches that'll smile while putting the nail on in your coffin... 

Tough af...