OT: HS track

golfaddict1

3 hours ago, westbankeagle said:

I will say that if all the teams in New Orleans had their kids run track, there would be a lot of fast times coming from the area. Rummel has got to be the worst offender. Their 4x1 is slower than the fastest girls team in the state, they haven't cracked 48. They have the talent. Got two real good kids. One jumps one sprints, but they just do a terrible job of developing isn't already a stud. We always have one or two good solid kids but we need to get a coach really wants to produce some top marks in order to move up.  Hopefully the football team is on the way up and brings up the rest of the sport

10 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I will assure you I am not turning a 11 anything at 54 9_9.  I still have all my medals from HS and my GF in HS was the 3A 100m hurdles and 4x100 champ.  We went to different 3A schools and the thing back then was to swap letterman Jackets and I got teased by my Track Team mates because my Girl's Jacket was more decorated than mine.  Her's had the whole State of Texas map on the Back that read Girl's State Championship hurdles and 4x100.  We are still friends and she still goes to track meets to this day. 

@nptb17 and @westbankeagle are far more accomplished than I in track.  Hell I couldn't win my district.   I did get a track offer to run for Jarvis Christian and East Texas Baptist but decided to join the Marines instead.

Man I ran track for the girls.  We practiced at our rivals schools' track because we didn't have our own when I was there.  At practice I would fake work on starts, talk to all the girls from the other school.  Run some 60's, talk to more girls and then jog the 400 to cool off.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Texasball said:

100m. # of kids who have posted sub 11 flat so far

Texas 232

florida 130

Georgia 66

California 72

Louisiana 30

Arizona 26

Alabama 12

Mississippi 5

NC 17

SC 27

ohio 5

OMG. Texas should have 232 ranked high school football teams.

Ohio-5

• Like 1

A lot of coaches I've talked to have mentioned wrestling quite a bit. What they have told me is wrestling improves toughness and is great for defensive football development in the off season. I think there is truth to that. Wrestling is much bigger in the Northern states and actually wrestling is much bigger in  Louisiana than Texas as well. 

I think track has it's place for staying in shape in the off season, but it lacks the toughness required in football overall.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/3559/a-background-in-wrestling-proves-beneficial-for-offensive-and-defensive-linemen

The Minnesota Vikings went into the NFL Draft seeking to bulk up their offensive and defensive lines, as three of the teams Top 6 picks were players in the trenches. 

It’s no coincidence that two of those selections were wrestling standouts in high school.

According to an article by ESPN’s NFL Nation, the Vikings place value in football players with backgrounds in wrestling.

Ohio State center, Pat Elflein, the team’s third-round pick, hails from Pickerington North High School (Ohio), where he was a heavyweight wrestler who qualified for the state and national tournament as a senior:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

A lot of coaches I've talked to have mentioned wrestling quite a bit. What they have told me is wrestling improves toughness and is great for defensive football development in the off season. I think there is truth to that. Wrestling is much bigger in the Northern states and actually wrestling is much bigger in  Louisiana than Texas as well. 

I think track has it's place for staying in shape in the off season, but it lacks the toughness required in football overall.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/3559/a-background-in-wrestling-proves-beneficial-for-offensive-and-defensive-linemen

The Minnesota Vikings went into the NFL Draft seeking to bulk up their offensive and defensive lines, as three of the teams Top 6 picks were players in the trenches. 

It’s no coincidence that two of those selections were wrestling standouts in high school.

According to an article by ESPN’s NFL Nation, the Vikings place value in football players with backgrounds in wrestling.

Ohio State center, Pat Elflein, the team’s third-round pick, hails from Pickerington North High School (Ohio), where he was a heavyweight wrestler who qualified for the state and national tournament as a senior:

This is good and wrestling has been 3rd most popular 2nd sport for NFL players behind track and basketball while in High School.

Read the last article I posted please.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:43 PM, Texasball said:

The above tells the story in Texas...

Let me say this about wrestling -  For example my school didn't offer it when I was in school.  Yet we had big ole mat and during our off-season we left a ton of blood on that mat.  It was down and dirty all out.  Our coaches even made us box from our knees.  They said it would teach us to keep our eyes open when hitting or getting hit! Yes, we had gloves on too.

58 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Texas vs Florida track meet with current rankings  -  This is without one of our top events 4x200 relay

http://tx.milesplit.com/articles/237788?page=2

DD - This was Dual Meet TX vs Florida -  It had all the events that both states run - except for the 4x200 - so basically it was the events that Florida does at their state track meet.

Texas Boys and Girls beat Florida boys and girls - based on current rankings.

Here is the little write up leading up to it.

So, we hear it every year about which state is better. It's always the Florida vs Texas battle and justifiably so. It is the only way to have a nemesis or arch rival in the sport.

In football, soccer, and basketball, you can definitely decide things by head to head competition and have the score to back things up.

In our sport, it's just not about to happen often enough to have the states go head to head. It's all about the stats and there is no doubt that although football is king in our two states, we both produce the best talent along with the best times, distances, and heights. Not only the best, but so much more of it.

Any state can brag about this or that, but can they actually compete against the best from these two states? There is only one answer and that is simply "NO".

Two weeks ago, each state had their flagship state university relay meets. Going into the weekend, the MileSplit national team wrote about which state was the best and they said Florida is better than Texas.

And excuse me, but I feel some kind of way about that. 

Not just that, but I feel Texas has been disrespected going all of the way back to XC season.

Even when I do participate in the this state is better than that state, it's all for fun and conversing about our sport. BUT.....I'm starting to really feel disrespected.

I love the MileSplit National team, but this is my state and I'm going to defend it! The disrespect must stop and the knowledge must be shared. No ill will towards Florida because I love orange juice and interesting beach towels just as much as the next person. Heck, when the time comes, if I can retire and live on Miami Beach, I'll be the first to do so. But it's time to set the record straight and let's see which state is having the better season so far.

Don't mistake me for going too far and going all Terrell Owens, "That's my quarterback" kind of a rant, but it's time do educate everyone.

Knowledge is power and the links below will show who is better as of today. You might be surprised and you might not, but at the very least you must know!

Texas Boys 377  vs Florida Boys 286

Texas Girls 383 vs Florida Girls 241

They did not include the 4 x 200

They did not double points in the relays.

They scored the top 8 results:  10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

3 minutes ago, Texasball said:

DD - This was Dual Meet TX vs Florida -  It had all the events that both states run - except for the 4x200 - so basically it was the events that Florida does at their state track meet.

Texas Boys and Girls beat Florida boys and girls - based on current rankings.

Here is the little write up leading up to it.

So, we hear it every year about which state is better. It's always the Florida vs Texas battle and justifiably so. It is the only way to have a nemesis or arch rival in the sport.

In football, soccer, and basketball, you can definitely decide things by head to head competition and have the score to back things up.

In our sport, it's just not about to happen often enough to have the states go head to head. It's all about the stats and there is no doubt that although football is king in our two states, we both produce the best talent along with the best times, distances, and heights. Not only the best, but so much more of it.

Any state can brag about this or that, but can they actually compete against the best from these two states? There is only one answer and that is simply "NO".

Two weeks ago, each state had their flagship state university relay meets. Going into the weekend, the MileSplit national team wrote about which state was the best and they said Florida is better than Texas.

And excuse me, but I feel some kind of way about that. 

Not just that, but I feel Texas has been disrespected going all of the way back to XC season.

Even when I do participate in the this state is better than that state, it's all for fun and conversing about our sport. BUT.....I'm starting to really feel disrespected.

I love the MileSplit National team, but this is my state and I'm going to defend it! The disrespect must stop and the knowledge must be shared. No ill will towards Florida because I love orange juice and interesting beach towels just as much as the next person. Heck, when the time comes, if I can retire and live on Miami Beach, I'll be the first to do so. But it's time to set the record straight and let's see which state is having the better season so far.

Don't mistake me for going too far and going all Terrell Owens, "That's my quarterback" kind of a rant, but it's time do educate everyone.

Knowledge is power and the links below will show who is better as of today. You might be surprised and you might not, but at the very least you must know!

Texas Boys 377  vs Florida Boys 286

Texas Girls 383 vs Florida Girls 241

They did not include the 4 x 200

They did not double points in the relays.

They scored the top 8 results:  10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Very cool.  I agree these 2 States are so far out ahead that it is ridiculous and no other Sport is so dominate in HS than T&F in FL & TX vs. the rest of the USA.   1A or 1B not doubt the cream of the Crop and I heard they can play a little football as well.  

• Like 1

Info from MileSplit - This is all years TX vs Florida 100m results

Sub 10.2  FAT Only

TX 14

FL 7

Sub 10.2  Wind legal

TX 2

FL 2

Sub 10.4 wind legal

TX 29

FL 14

Sub 10.5 wind legal

TX 53

FL 45

Pretty good stuff with both states elite sprinters 

Even though I was doing wind legal results.  Florida had 6 athletes with NWI  and Texas had 3 athletes with NWI  = No wind reading

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Very cool.  I agree these 2 States are so far out ahead that it is ridiculous and no other Sport is so dominate in HS than T&F in FL & TX vs. the rest of the USA.   1A or 1B not doubt the cream of the Crop and I heard they can play a little football as well.  

Without Question 

The older I get the more that I appreciate standing on the sideline or being at the games when some bad ass Florida teams played

On side lines:  STA vs Dallas Skyline,  Cocoa vs Skyline,  BTW vs CH, Miami Central vs Dallas (mismatch), Cocoa vs Abilene, Miramar vs Desoto

was at several others - My favorite was MNW vs SLC  and Plant vs Abilene 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Without Question 

The older I get the more that I appreciate standing on the sideline or being at the games when some bad ass Florida teams played

On side lines:  STA vs Dallas Skyline,  Cocoa vs Skyline,  BTW vs CH, Miami Central vs Dallas (mismatch), Cocoa vs Abilene, Miramar vs Desoto

was at several others - My favorite was MNW vs SLC  and Plant vs Abilene 

I was at all those games except Miramar vs. Desoto and MC vs. Madison, MNW vs. SLC and Plant vs. Abilene

But I saw STA vs Skyline @ AT&T as well as Skyline vs. Cocoa, Cocoa vs. Abilene @ Desoto and I saw Venice vs. Plano East in Plano and Viera vs. Allen in Allen.  And I saw Chaminade Madonna vs. Lee in Tyler back in the Day with a Storm on the horizon for that one.  I have seen a lot of Fl. vs. Tx Live.