OT: HS track

golfaddict1

Golf I forgot about this Beast Texas Kid from Texarkana who played for the Steelers at WR he ran a 10.29 in 2009 at Texas High

Cobi Hamilton (Beast Texas still in the League at Arizona Now.  It's in our Blood in Beast Texas :D  HBCU Legacy. 

I can remember the older guys that ran Track challenging me in HS in the Street all the time to race.  Great stuff and you could just tell how fast they used to be.

Hamilton attended Texas High School in Texarkana, Texas, where he set the Tigers’ single-season receiving yardage record as a senior with 64 receptions for 1,071 yards and 14 touchdowns. He was all-district and all-area in his career and he was named the All-Northeast Texas Offensive Player of the Year. As a junior, he had 29 receptions for 726 yards and seven touchdowns. He was a high school teammate of former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett.

Hamilton was also a standout athlete for the Texas High School track team. He finished fourth in the 200 meters at the AAU National Junior Olympics, with a time of 21.41 seconds. He finished 4th in the 100 meters at the 2009 Region II-4A Championships, with a career-best time of 10.60 seconds. He also ran for the Arkansas track team. He ran a personal best of 21.09 in the 200 meter.

Hamilton attended the University of Arkansas from 2009 to 2012. As a senior, he was an All-SEC selection after recording 90 receptions for 1,335 yards and five touchdowns.[5] The receptions and yards were school records. On September 22, 2012, he set an SEC record for receiving yards in a game with 303 He finished his career with 175 receptions for 2,854 yards and 18 touchdowns

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Texasball said:

sI tell this story often.  My good friends are the Ketchum brothers from Needville Tx

Anthony Ketchum ran 45.5 from the outside lane to set the national record at the time.  Most track guys believe he would have ran much faster had he been on the inside.  This was in 1981

I remember him I think he had a brother that is the year I graduated if I remember correctly.  My cousin from Atlanta was also one of the top 400m guys in Texas in the late 80's.  That is not my last name by the way 9_9. Rod Rowe our grandparents are sisters and brothers his nickname is Pahche9_9.  I think he went to Kansas State and flamed out.  I will ask him where he went. He lives back there in Atlanta.  Those Atlanta Rabbits can fly.  I think he told me his best time was a 46.5 in HS. Same school as Phillip Epps

@Texasball do you remember him?

Conference 3A State 400m Championship 1989.  Our family has a deep track history.

1. Rod Rowe, Atlanta, 47.2; 2. Samuel McKenzie, Brownsboro, 47.5; 3. Daniel Alvarado, Castroville: Medina Valley, 47.7; 4. Michael Nanny, Graham, 48.8; 5. Charley Tiggs, Dalhart, 48.9; 6. David Grenshaw, Montgomery, 49.2 

He anchored lil 3A Atlanta's 4X400.  They ran a freaking 3:15 @ 3A B|

UIL Header

1989 State Track Meet Results - 4x400m

1. At1anta (Carlos Simmons, Vincent Lawson, Kleno Willis, Rod Rowe) 3:15.3; 2. Newton (Tommy Samuel, James McLemore, Brian Foster, Jerry Townsend) 3:16.1; 3. Breckenridge (Danny Baker, Craig McKoy, Chris Wilson, Randy Riggins) 3:18.0; 4. Woodville, 3:19.3; 5. Hitchcock, 3:20.5; 6. Jeiferson, 3:20.8 

• Like 1

I will say that if all the teams in New Orleans had their kids run track, there would be a lot of fast times coming from the area. Rummel has got to be the worst offender. Their 4x1 is slower than the fastest girls team in the state, they haven't cracked 48. They have the talent. Got two real good kids. One jumps one sprints, but they just do a terrible job of developing isn't already a stud. We always have one or two good solid kids but we need to get a coach really wants to produce some top marks in order to move up.  Hopefully the football team is on the way up and brings up the rest of the sports.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

I will say that if all the teams in New Orleans had their kids run track, there would be a lot of fast times coming from the area. Rummel has got to be the worst offender. Their 4x1 is slower than the fastest girls team in the state, they haven't cracked 48. They have the talent. Got two real good kids. One jumps one sprints, but they just do a terrible job of developing isn't already a stud. We always have one or two good solid kids but we need to get a coach really wants to produce some top marks in order to move up.  Hopefully the football team is on the way up and brings up the rest of the sports.

You don't have to convince me there are some fast ass kids in the Bayou.  It is a big part of Texas culture especially in East Texas and DFW and the HBCU's have a lot to do with this legacy.  Because back then most of the Black Schools didn't have football but they all ran Track as the 2nd sport after Basketball they all ran track out there in Beast Texas.  Again only 5 guys play BBall you can have 30+ kids on a track team.  Even when I ran @ a 3A school in 1981 we had 28 people on our Track team.

6 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I am in tone with a lot of recruiters...Track and field is the #1 standard for judging players after film.  It confirms what they thought !

this doesn’t mean they will not recruit non track kids.  

Man we surely will hit up the area meets in the next couple of weeks.  Looking forward to it with you sir.

9 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Remember when Roy Williams Odessa Permain - long jumped over 25’  - he was pretty good football player too

I also remember in HS after getting smoked by Pittsburg and DeKalb in the 4x100 in District they ran a 42.2 and 42.5 we finished 4th in 43.2.  That Decatur,  TX had 4 white dudes on their 4x100 and those were the 4 fastest white dudes I ever saw in Texas in the 4x100.  Everyone in Beast Texas was like wait to you run into those 4 white boys from Decatur.  :D I don't remember if it was 1981 - 1980 or a year before but they were fast as all get out.

Remember Craig James at Stafford was fast and played with Dickerson in the Pony Express. 

3 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

Speaking of the bayou I saw a kid from South Lafourche or something like that jump nearly 25 feet about a decade ago with absolutely the worst form in the world. Some of those kids are mixed with every race and must be inheriting the sports genes of all of them.

What non track people don't get that usually the Best Long Jumper's and Pole Vaulter's and High Jumper's are fast as hell.

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I also remember in HS after getting smoked by Pittsburg and DeKalb in the 4x100 in District they ran a 42.2 and 42.5 we finished 4th in 43.2.  That Decatur,  TX had 4 white dudes on their 4x100 and those were the 4 fastest white dudes I ever saw in Texas in the 4x100.  Everyone in Beast Texas was like wait to you run into those 4 white boys from Decatur.  :D I don't remember if it was 1981 - 1980 or a year before but they were fast as all get out.

You realize- the best of those 4 white dudes from Decatur was James Mannes TCU/ Chicago Bears - his career ended early because of cocaine use

he was also on record setting relay team at TCU

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Texasball said:

You realize- the best of those 4 white dudes from Decatur was James Mannes TCU/ Chicago Bears - his career ended early because of cocaine use

he was also on record setting relay team at TCU

You know your Track Texasball

I didn't remember but now that you knew the name I do remember him and you are correct.  Those white dudes were fast.  That's him we are the same age he is 27 days older.  Those were the fastest 4 white dudes I ever saw in HS.  They were known in Beast Texas.   I remember my Uncle saying them White Boys in Decatur can fly :D

35 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Nice article:   I do think this is mainly a big thing in Texas and Florida and again helluva coincidence the Football is the same.  Both are know for fast teams with athletes 

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I remember him I think he had a brother that is the year I graduated if I remember correctly.  My cousin from Atlanta was also one of the top 400m guys in Texas in the late 80's.  That is not my last name by the way 9_9. Rod Rowe our grandparents are sisters and brothers his nickname is Poche9_9.  I think he went to Kansas State and flamed out.  I will ask him where he went. He lives back there in Atlanta.  Those Atlanta Rabbits can fly.  I think he told me his best time was a 46.5 in HS. Same school as Phillip Epps

@Texasball do you remember him?

Conference 3A State 400m Championship 1989.  Our family has a deep track history.

1. Rod Rowe, Atlanta, 47.2; 2. Samuel McKenzie, Brownsboro, 47.5; 3. Daniel Alvarado, Castroville: Medina Valley, 47.7; 4. Michael Nanny, Graham, 48.8; 5. Charley Tiggs, Dalhart, 48.9; 6. David Grenshaw, Montgomery, 49.2 

He anchored lil 3A Atlanta's 4X400.  They ran a freaking 3:15 @ 3A B|

UIL Header

1989 State Track Meet Results - 4x400m

1. At1anta (Carlos Simmons, Vincent Lawson, Kleno Willis, Rod Rowe) 3:15.3; 2. Newton (Tommy Samuel, James McLemore, Brian Foster, Jerry Townsend) 3:16.1; 3. Breckenridge (Danny Baker, Craig McKoy, Chris Wilson, Randy Riggins) 3:18.0; 4. Woodville, 3:19.3; 5. Hitchcock, 3:20.5; 6. Jeiferson, 3:20.8 

I can remember Atlanta always being good in class 3A track and field especially in the 80's

You remember this dude - Tracy Simien from Sweeny HS class 3A - Played 8 years in the NFL mostly with the KC - won state titles in the shot put and discus.  He is the Head Football Coach at Eastern Hills Fort Worth

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

You know your Track Texasball

I didn't remember but now that you knew the name I do remember him and you are correct.  Those white dudes were fast.  That's him we are the same age he is 27 days older.  Those were the fastest 4 white dudes I ever saw in HS.  They were known in Beast Texas.   I remember my Uncle saying them White Boys in Decatur can fly :D

That was the best Decatur football team of all time when James Mannes played.

They got beat in the playoffs by a really good Pittsburg Beast Texas team in the playoffs - That Pittsburg defense didn't give up any points in the 1980 playoffs - The offense gave up 2 points in the final 

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

That was the best Decatur football team of all time when James Mannes played.

They got beat in the playoffs by a really good Pittsburg Beast Texas team in the playoffs - That Pittsburg defense didn't give up any points in the 1980 playoffs - The offense gave up 2 points in the final 

https://lonestarpreps.rivals.com/news/1980-pittsburg-pirates-greatness-in-the-shadows

They were in the District next to us .  They had Gary Hashaway @ RB I ran track against him I think he went to SMU and Kenneth Reeves the OT/DT played for the Eagles or Steelers in the NFL if I remember correctly. Byron Linwood their 100m guy he was a 10.7 guy I ran against him in Lindale at a meet and I think he went to TCU.   Chris Vaughn (10.6) from DeKalb was the 2nd best in the 100m at  that time in Beast Texas 3A area and was the a great HS RB for Dekalb.   DeKalb was our District Champ and Pittsburg beat them in Bi-District that year running a  we all graduated 1980 - 1982 from the Same area.

That Defense was crazy we played them at home in District that year and lost.  Remember my cousin the Track Coach out here he was a 10.5 guy at 4A Mount Pleasant that year he was very good TB for them too and they were good and  played 4A finalist Paris to 2 Td's .  Keith Stansberry  was on that MP team and went to OU another track Beast and hitter at Safety.  Had a bad Wreck @ OU they lost to 3A Pittsburg the 1st game of that year 15 -14. 

They are in the argument along with 1973 Big Sandy, John Tyler  1983 Daingerfield as the best out of Beast Texas and Texas' Best ever.

Better than 1983 Daingerfield? Probably not, but this team should be in the discussion.

Wk. 1 Pittsburg 15 Mt. Pleasant 14
Wk. 2 Pittsburg 34 Jefferson 0
Wk. 3 Pittsburg 47 Linden Kildare 0
Wk. 4 Pittsburg 14 Jacksonville 7
Wk. 5 Pittsburg 21 Daingerfield 0
Wk. 6 Pittsburg 16 Paris N. Lamar 0
Wk. 7 Pittsburg 34 Pattonville Prairie 0
Wk. 8 Pittsburg 47 Mount Vernon 0
Wk. 9 Pittsburg 50 Winnsboro 0
Wk. 10 Pittsburg 33 Clarksville 0
Bi-Dist Pittsburg 21 DeKalb 0
Area Pittsburg 24 Van 0
Qtr Final Pittsburg 28 Decatur 0
Semifinal Pittsburg 35 Stamford 0
Finals Pittsburg 13 Van Vleck 2

Texas Ball remember what I said about the OLD PVIL vs UIL before segregation.  Beast Texas was not the Football power that we know today and when the integration took place it took off. Speed, Speed Speed.  Remember I mentioned how Lufkin Dunbar was a fast all black Segregated school.  Read this article a few years old but Beast Texas is still rolling the Championships.

Pretty funny when all those Fast Black kids (track) put on pads they exploded the Football pedigree in .  BEAST TEXAS B| Remember a lot of those small PVIL schools didn't have Football but they had Track.

A lot more than that now this is from 2011 but great insight.

https://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/rise-of-east-texas-football-why-region-has-captured-state/article_e0e34de2-bbc3-53a4-9b01-813195859b99.html

Rise of East Texas Football: Why region has captured 46 state championships since 1964

It seems the UIL-PVIL merger is no coincidence when scanning the timeline. Henderson head coach Dickey Meeks, a Louisiana native who has won a state championship at two different East Texas schools, agrees. The merger - or more importantly, integration - gave schools an entire population base from which to find players.

"I don't know exactly when integration was because I wasn't over here at the time," Meeks said, "but I do think that could be a big point. With the consolidation of the UIL and the PVIL, I think in East Texas you pick up so many athletes."