OT: HS track

golfaddict1

Track and Field and football goes way back with TEXAS AND FLORIDA

Homer Jones Beast Texas Kid invented the Spike with NY Giants in the 60's

Six-foot-two and weighing 220 pounds, Jones was a cousin of Hall of Fame receiver Charley Taylor of the Washington Redskins and Browns' defensive end Joe Jones.

Jones attended Texas Southern College (now Texas Southern University), a historically black college, and starred in track and field as well as football, running the 100-yard and 220-yard dashes. He was drafted in 1963 by his hometown team, the Houston Oilers of the American Football League, but suffered a knee injury in training camp and was cut.

This in an era when the running game was more prevalent:  Jones finished his career with 224 receptions for 4,986 yards, an average of 22.3 yards per catch, and 38 touchdowns (36 receiving, one rushing, one kick return). His yard per catch ranks number one for all NFL players in a career with at least 200 receptions.

Bob Hayes Fl Kid Dallas Cowboys 60s - 70s

Hayes was a highly recruited athlete, and accepted a football scholarship from Florida A&M University a historically black college, where he excelled in track & field.

He ran an 8.5 Anchor leg in the 4x100 in the Olympics the fastest ever. 1st man to run a sub 10.  Dude ran a freaking 9.91 in the 60's 9_9 Hayes has been credited by many with forcing the NFL to develop a zone defense and the bump and run to attempt to contain him. Once caught 9 passes for 246 in a game for the Cowboys in the freaking 60's

14 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

@Texasball I get why many don't get the T&F thing if you really look at it people like what they are good at and Really traditionally that has been Texas, Florida, California and lately Ga. busting on the scene.  It is bigger in the 1st 3 and always have hell I can remember all the way back to Houston McTear when I was a Young Kid in Beast Texas and Being Cowboy Fan how Bob Hayes changed the game and made defenses develop the Zone to cover him all Fl dudes and fast as hell.  And as a Texas kid I remember Roy Martin who was a few years behind me here in Texas running the 200m in freaking an unofficial time of 19.74 in front of 30K.    There is a thread on here about Hockey I never read one post in it.  Because we suck in Hockey and I have no interest.  So I get it we are Beast's in T&F along with Cali and Fl.   And most of the great Speed guys from those States are also football Players.   I remember one year the Summer Olympics had like 20+ Texans.  I Remember being in HS and the word going around how FT. Worth Wyatt ran a sub 40 and they went to Florida and proved it and also smoked everyone at the NB National championships again running in the 39's as many didn't believe this was true and some crazy Texas Wind.  And PAM breaking that magical Barrier this year.  How the only Girls 4x100 to run in the 44's are all Texas and Cali Girls.  Wyattran a sub 40  4 times that year. 2 outside of Texas    Check out these HS Track Phenom's.  Damn near everyone of them were football players.   Goodwin is a emerging star with that speed in San Francisco right now.  I know there are great Football players across America that play other sports and T&F is not your thing.  It is for the Big 3 and always have been back to Bullet Bob Hayes in Florida (Dallas Cowboys) and Homer Jones Texas kid (New York Giants) all track guys with crazy football Stats.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/article20868297.html

Houston McTear, Harvey Glance... that's my beginning of track :)   The old Millrose Games at MSG were classics.  Dwight Stones, Edwin Moses.   '76 Olympics was the first I followed as a kid.  

• Like 2

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

Houston McTear, Harvey Glance... that's my beginning of track :)   The old Millrose Games at MSG were classics.  Dwight Stones, Edwin Moses.   '76 Olympics was the first I followed as a kid.  

I was amazed at that group.  Do you remember when the Brazilians popped up in the 4x100 and challenged the U.S. for a brief period in the late 90's - early 2000's with the DaSilva's. 

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=1191-4x100m-Mens-Final-Olympic-Games-Sydney-2000

• Like 1

Hawthorne, Cali set National HS 4x400 Record @ Texas Relays in 1985.

This probably will never be broken by a HS either.  Hawthorne HS Cali in 1985 running a sick 4x400m relay. What most don't realize they did it here in Texas the same Year we had Roy Martin and Joel DeLoach the 2 fastest kids in the nation and Cali sent one of their's to run against them but he false started and those two ran a After Thomas false-started, Martin won the 100 in 10.18 and DeLoach ran 10.26.   This might have been the greatest HS Track Meet ever.  Hawthorne got special permissions to travel outside restrictions to run in the Texas Relays. 

In 1985, Courtney coaxed a special exemption to travel beyond a mileage limit to compete in the Texas Relays in Austin. Sprint sensations Roy Martin of Dallas Roosevelt and Joel DeLoach of Bay City, Texas, awaited.

After Thomas false-started, Martin won the 100 in 10.18 and DeLoach ran 10.26.

“I was really disappointed I jumped, but the reason why was the cameras were clicking like crazy,” Thomas said. “I was ready to go down there with Joe DeLoach and Roy Martin, so it was a disappointment. But I had to let that go and prepare for other races.”

“I remember the Texas fans were incredibly interested – better words would be wild and unruly,” Marsh said with a laugh. “They were completely enchanted with Roy Martin and held him in incredibly high regard. I don’t think they were familiar with our team and grossly underestimated the talent we brought to the table.”

They found out when Graham took the baton with a 5-meter lead.

Halfway through, he was caught – but not passed.

“I remember watching down the backstretch like it was yesterday,” Thomas said. “I believe one of the guys from Decatur High in Texas ran up on Michael Graham at the 200-meter mark. I think they might have had a few elbows.

“Going into the second 200, Michael was just too strong and that’s when he extended the lead.”

Graham ran a 47.7, Kelly went 47.1, and Thomas had a huge lead and could have coasted to victory. But Martin was going to be on his team’s anchor leg, too.

“I knew I had to do my part,” Thomas said. “I know I was running hard because I knew what I had to do. Sometimes you get in that zone and can feel it.

“I don’t know what the split was in the first 200, but when you’re running fast you can feel it in your arms, legs, breathing. It was like a good controlled sprint for 400 meters and I didn’t get tired.”

Thomas crossed the line after an incredible lap of 44.5 seconds. The team time was 3:07.40.

“Hey, we did it,” was what Thomas recalled thinking.

And remarkably, no one else has. The closest call came in 1994, when West Brook of Beaumont, Texas, ran 3:08.55. In California, Muir went 3:08.66 in 1996 and 3:08.72 the next year.

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I was amazed at that group.  Do you remember when the Brazilians popped up in the 4x100 and challenged the U.S. for a brief period in the late 90's - early 2000's with the DaSilva's. 

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=1191-4x100m-Mens-Final-Olympic-Games-Sydney-2000

When we were kids East Germany and Russian relay chicks were bigger than the US men's relay squad... and they likely sang lower too, lol.  

4 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

When we were kids East Germany and Russian relay chicks were bigger than the US men's relay squad... and they likely sang lower too, lol.  

I remember they looked scary and I could never figure out how white chicks in Europe was so fast and white chicks in America weren't for the most part. We all found out years later.  9_9 I am trying to find the 4x400 relay times @ the 1985 Texas Relays when Hawthorne smoked us.  Kids ran a 3:07:45 from the same HS not a stacked group.  How do you rate that to Wyatt's 39.75 4x100.  I am believing neither will be broken.  I know 3 Fl kids and 1 La kid ran like a 3:05 and 4 Texas kids ran a 39.32 but not records due to not Official HS events and after the season though HS kids they were stacked at the Great S.W. meet's

It had to be a helluva race because the guy that ran Anchor from Hawthorne was worried because he Knew Roy Martin was running the anchor on the 4x400 against them. And at the State Track Meet Roosevelt won with a blazing 3:09.4 with Martin anchoring. I would assume that race with Hawthorne was freaking Epic.

Conference 5A  1985 Texas 4x400m Relay finals.
1. Dallas Roosevelt (Kevin Garden, Walter Foster, James Glenn, Roy Martin) 3:09.4
2. Dallas Carter (Marvin Blackwell, Ray Carter, Derrick Cunningham, Ronnie Prater) 3:14.2
3. Fort Worth Wyatt (Charles Dawson, Pressie Ford, Demery Hill, Wooduroon Holman) 3:15.6
4. Houston Forest Brook, 3:16.3
5. Amarillo Palo Duro, 3:18.6
6. Rosenberg Lamar, 3:21.5

Check out the 5A 4x100M Finals at state that year

Conference 5A
1. Dallas Roosevelt (Lester Crenshaw, James Glenn, Rod Martin, Roy Martin) 40.2
2. Houston Forest Brook (Ronnie Davis, Jeffery Jackson, Archie Roberts, Stacy Smith) 40.7
3. Texarkana Texas (Sidney Holmes, Eric Martin, Jim Mosley, Steve Smith) 40.8 (BEAST TEXAS)
4. Fort Worth Wyatt 40.8
5. Austin Reagan, 40.8
6. Midland Lee, 41.4

8 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Bullet, Skeets, Jett, Gault, Lam Jones... any other track elites at the highest level play in the NFL?   Those are the only guys I can think of, but I'm sure there are more.  

Metcalf, Goodwin, Ted Ginn, Rocket Ismael, Herschel Walker, James Jett, Ron Brown, Bo Jackson Darrell Green, Sam Graddy, Alexader Wright, Jamaal Charles, Cliff Branch, forgot Willie Gault

to name a few off my Dome

That's why I wish TX and FL could hit those Penn Relays against the Jamaicans.  I get tired of them beating PA, MD, NJ, NY and VA like a drum.  It ends up being a Jamaican Festival.  Thanks to the Poly girls and maybe Bullis competing and the Poly boys on occasion.  imagine The Woodlands, AHP, Desoto running maybe not winning but they damn sure will be right there and I believe would break the sub 40 against them.  I was happy when those Texas kids smoked them at the Great S.W. meet to put some of that nonsense to rest.

3 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Metcalf, Goodwin, Ted Ginn, Rocket Ismael, Herschel Walker, James Jett, Ron Brown, Bo Jackson Darrell Green, Sam Graddy, Alexader Wright, Jamaal Charles, Cliff Branch, forgot Willie Gault

to name a few off my Dome

Those names bring back some memories... Cliff Branch, Darrell Green, Rocket... even of course Primetime, those guys could motor. 

The 5 I listed I recall having a USA jersey on and competing at the highest level of track... maybe some of those guys you list did too or we are missing some guys also?   Gunna have to research this and see who we are missing eventually.  

9 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Those names bring back some memories... Cliff Branch, Darrell Green, Rocket... even of course Primetime, those guys could motor. 

The 5 I listed I recall having a USA jersey on and competing at the highest level of track... maybe some of those guys you list did too or we are missing some guys also?   Gunna have to research this and see who we are missing eventually.  

Do you mean Olympics only?  I used guys that excelled at the highest level like college elite but chose football over Track. Like Herschel and Gault and others.  I didn't put Primetime because I never saw him run track anywhere but was fast.

39 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Do you mean Olympics only?  I used guys that excelled at the highest level like college elite but chose football over Track. Like Herschel and Gault and others.  I didn't put Primetime because I never saw him run track anywhere but was fast.

I was leaning more track elite like US Nationals on up, but I think Walker might have run at Millrose games.  I recall him running indoors but can't recall the event.  I'd say probably best bet would be times because as you indicated some simply focused on football.  

Butch Woolfolk was the first HS elite star I watched as a kid. I knew he was a track burner and competed at Michigan, but what I just found out today was that he competed in the 200 meter Olympic trials in 1980 (USA didn't compete that year).   That's good enough for me, he's in.  Gotta be others who competed in the Olympic trials or an annual  US nationals event.  

32 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I was leaning more track elite like US Nationals on up, but I think Walker might have run at Millrose games.  I recall him running indoors but can't recall the event.  I'd say probably best bet would be times because as you indicated some simply focused on football.  

Butch Woolfolk was the first HS elite star I watched as a kid. I knew he was a track burner and competed at Michigan, but what I just found out today was that he competed in the 200 meter Olympic trials in 1980 (USA didn't compete that year).   That's good enough for me, he's in.  Gotta be others who competed in the Olympic trials or an annual  US nationals event.  

No doubt a lot of them and the further you go back you will find more.  Especially back in the 60s and 70s when African Americans didn't get into the SEC, SWC and others some ran to the Big 10 or Pac 10 back then where they were accepted.  But the majority were in HBCU's and most were track guys like Bullet Bob and Homer Jones and the Legacy was born in FL and Tx.   That is the legacy that still stands to this day especially in Fl and Tx.  My uncle actually won the PVIL 100m Championship here in Texas in 1965 when the Schools were segregated and blacks participated in the PVIL held at Prarie View A&M and whites the UIL. 

Lufkin Dunbar out of Beast Texas was known for their speed and produced HOF Safety Kenny Houston and yep he ran Track at P.V. A&M. 

In Texas if you are a football guy you more than likely was a HS Track Kid part of the Legacy same in Florida.  The States are very similar and dominate HS Track.  They have really separated from the rest of the Country especially in the Speed events.  Did you see what A.P did in HS?  Peterson was an elite sprinter running in the 10.2's in HS.  But focused on Football.   Eric Dickerson the same thing. 

Sealy was in my Class in HS and he is a couple classes ahead of me.  But I remember him running Track.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

No doubt a lot of them and the further you go back you will find more.  Especially back in the 60s and 70s when African Americans didn't get into the SEC, SWC and others some ran to the Big 10 or Pac 10 back then but the majority were in HBCU's and most were track guys like Bullet Bob and Homer Jones.   That is the legacy that still stands to this day especially in Fl and Tx.  My uncle actually won the PVIL 100m Championship here in Texas in 1965 when the Schools were segregated and blacks participated in the PVIL held at Prarie View A&M and whites the UIL. 

Lufkin Dunbar out of Beast Texas was known for their speed and produced HOF Safety Kenny Houston and yep he ran Track at P.V. A&M. 

In Texas if you are a football guy you more than likely was a HS Track Kid.  Did you see what A.P did in HS.  Peterson was an elite sprinter running in the 10.2's in HS.  But focused on Football. 

Orenthal James had a Forrest Gump like start to his sprinting efforts both on the gridiron and the track.   

Robert Griffin lll ran a 35.33 in the 300m hurdles in HS.  He's in lol.   I change the rules each post.  That's nasty for HS level, dang.  

Even out in Beast Texas if you go to a Track Meet you will see old Granny's and PAPA's and nice crowds at those small schools and crazy how fast they are especially these programs traditionally.  Atlanta, Longview, Texas High, Tatum, Daingerfield, Gilmer and Gladewater.  A few years back Texas High and BTW both were threatening to break the Sub 40's  I went to the meets and Texas High and Lancaster were beasting with each other.  Kevin Harris was the kid who ran with Your boy Brommel at Baylor before Harris went to Arkansas.

It was 2014 Also Ronald Jones II @ USC was running in Texas in the 100m this same year.  4A was fast as heck and Beast Texas had the fastest 4x100 in the Nation that year.  I thought Texas High and Lancaster would get under 40 they were in the same Region and class. Saw them hook up and it was great.  I remember the football guys on that BTW team too.

2014 4x100 leaders.  Track is a big deal in Beast Texas.  Everyone out there still Talks about Phillip Epps from Atlanta that went on the play at Green Bay.  

1.-Jacorian Walker Trey Walker Trey Monk Kevin Harris  40.41 TX Texarkana Texas May 10 UIL 4A State Championships

2.-Reggie Garner Gabriel Walker Elijah Boyd Keenan Ivy 40.45 TXLancaster May 10 UIL 4A State Championships

3.-Jontavis Smith Devante Lacy Jacob Harper Larenzo Stewart 40.47 TX Klein Oak May 10 UIL 5A State Championships

4. Krondis Larry , Deltron Hopkins, Terrawn McPhee, Nigel Bethel II 40.57 FL Booker T. Washington (Miami) Apr 04Florida Relays

9 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Orenthal James had a Forrest Gump like start to his sprinting efforts both on the gridiron and the track.   

Robert Griffin lll ran a 35.33 in the 300m hurdles in HS.  He's in lol.   I change the rules each post.  That's nasty for HS level, dang.  

RGIII was a goat and could have ran anywhere and did at Baylor his Fr. Year.  I remember watch the superstars as a kid and seeing OJ run like a 9.5 100yd dash

Track is a big deal in Beast Texas.  Everyone out there still Talks about Phillip Epps from Atlanta that went on to play at Green Bay from TCU.  I watched him run when I was Fr. in Beast Texas just up the road from him.  Atlanta is still a beast in Track in the Piney Woods of East Texas right now. 9_9  

Epps was also a World-Class sprinter. His personal best of 20.19 seconds in the 200 meters was the second fastest time in the world in 1982. He also competed in the 55 meters and 100 meters, posting personal bests of 6.08 seconds and 10.16 seconds.

• Like 1

It is also no coincidence that pound for pound Beast Texas produces the best players in Texas and the Best Football.  About 3 years ago only Hampton Road's in Va had more 3 year players in the NFL than Beast Texas.  They are known to be big fast and aggressive kids.  Jason Peters, AP,  Dez Bryant as examples.  Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Overstreet, Ken Houston track guys that are Beast Texas Legends and many more.  I grew up going to track meets every weekend as a kid and ran the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x400 in HS. Ran 11.1 100.  22.6 200  4x100 43.2 and 4X4 3:28:00 In a 3A Class that got smoked we never won District and only 2 teams went to the regionals. It was some fast teams even back then.   My cousin is the Track Coach here in a Dallas HS and was a 10.5 100m guy in HS and still coaches track to this day.  I will not name the School.  But I can always hit him up about Track in the State.

• Like 1

Philip Epps, that's a name I haven't heard in awhile... nice resume.  He's in.   The Juice will have to check his track stats.   The Superstars, ha.  That was fun to watch back in the day.   

How about the basketball "horse" matchups, especially when Pete Maravich was participating?  Reminds me of a joke,  what do you call two Mexicans competing in basketball?   

Juan on Juan  :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Philip Epps, that's a name I haven't heard in awhile... nice resume.  He's in.   The Juice will have to check his track stats.   The Superstars, ha.  That was fun to watch back in the day.   

How about the basketball "horse" matchups, especially when Pete Maravich was participating?  Reminds me of a joke,  what do you call two Mexicans competing in basketball?   

Juan on Juan  :D

When I was a Freshman the big thing everyone in Beast Texas was talking about was the match up between Phillip Epps (Beast Texas) and Johnny Lam Jones from Lampassas both were in 3A.  Add him too.  Man you are bringing back some great track memories for me as a kid. 

Now imagine lil  3A having Epps and Lam Jones in the same Class.  That's why Beast Texas have so many legendary Football teams.  Daingerfield, Big Sandy, John Tyler, Gilmer.  They all were Speed.  Beast Texas have won a State Champioship in 4A & Below for like 30 years and everyone that plays them mentions the Speed.   

Track and Football is a Legacy Here

Jones replaced an injured Houston McTear on the U.S. team and finished sixth in the 100 meters. He also ran the second leg for the U.S. 4x100 team, which won the gold medal.

Perhaps even more than his Olympic gold, however, Jones is considered legendary in Texas high school sports history for his performance in the mile relay at the 1976 U.I.L. State Track and Field Meet. Running anchor for Class 3A Lampasas High School, Jones took the baton in last place, reportedly 40 to 60 yards behind the leaders, and passed the entire field for victory. The run has taken on near-mythical status among those who saw it — or claim to have seen it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

It is also no coincidence that pound for pound Beast Texas produces the best players in Texas and the Best Football.  About 3 years ago only Hampton Road's in Va had more 3 year players in the NFL than Beast Texas.  They are know to be big fast and aggressive kids.  Jason Peters, AP,  Dez Bryant as examples.  Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Overstreet, Ken Houston track guys that are Beast Texas Legends and many more.  I grew up going to track meets every weekend as a kid and ran the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x400 in HS. Ran 11.1 100.  22.6 200  4x100 43.2 and 4X4 3:28:00 In a 3A Class that got smoked we never won District and only 2 teams went to the regionals. It was some fast teams even back then.   My cousin is the Track Coach here in a Dallas HS and was a 10.5 100m guy in HS and still coaches track to this day.

We need to have a @DevilDogvs @nptb17100 meter race for charity.  @westbankeagle, you want in?  :)  

Very nice DD.   I can only share elementary school times lol, will have to look for the Springsteen Glory Days shoebox.

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

We need to have a @DevilDogvs @nptb17100 meter race for charity.  @westbankeagle, you want in?  :)  

Very nice DD.   I can only share elementary school times lol, will have to look for the Springsteen Glory Days shoebox, lol.  

Never had the speed, but did get the 800 down to a 2:07 back in the day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Very nice DD.   I can only share elementary school times lol, will have to look for the Springsteen Glory Days shoebox, lol.  

I will assure you I am not turning a 11 anything at 54 9_9.  I still have all my medals from HS and my GF in HS was the 3A 100m hurdles and 4x100 champ.  We went to different 3A schools and the thing back then was to swap letterman Jackets and I got teased by my Track Team mates because my Girl's Jacket was more decorated than mine.  Her's had the whole State of Texas map on the Back that read Girl's State Championship hurdles and 4x100.  We are still friends and she still goes to track meets to this day. 

@nptb17 and @westbankeagle are far more accomplished than I in track.  Hell I couldn't win my district.   I did get a track offer to run for Jarvis Christian and East Texas Baptist but decided to join the Marines instead.

7 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

Never had the speed, but did get the 800 down to a 2:07 back in the day!

I tried that event once and after that Monkey jumped on my back in the 3rd curve of the 400m I realized hell no this is the toughest damn sprint and it is that in T&F next to the 300m Hurdles in HS.  No Thanks

I don't know if you would call me accomplished. I got last at district haha. There were 4 guys under 2 that year I believe, and about 8 guys under 2:05. I think Rummel had run like 8:02 that year or the year before. That was a different Catholic League. It got watered down bad after Katrina. It bounced back a bit with Curtis joining though.

• Like 1