OT: HS track

golfaddict1

from 2016  recruiting trend at the university of Alabama (football)

The current track and field recruiting trend is on the rise. While Alabama has a near 50% mix of players who competed in track versus football only, that number is increasing quickly. The upperclassmen have the greatest number of football focused players. Seniors have 40% with a track background, while the juniors drop down to 30%. There is a clear upswing with the two most recent recruiting classes. The Alabama program is now nearing 60% with the latest group of freshman. Takeaways? Football players should give their pads a break in the offseason and hit the track!

JAMAAL CHARLES: Before he became one of the top running backs in football, Charles was an elite sprinter. His best time in the 100 in college at the University of Texas was 10.27. By comparison, Bolt clocked in at 9.81 in his gold medal win in Rio.

He was the nations #1 Hurdler in High school

MARQUISE GOODWIN: The Buffalo Bills wideout attempted last month to qualify for the Rio Games in long jump, but finished seventh, blaming the result on a strained hamstring from the qualifications. He made the Olympic track and field team in London in 2012, finishing 10th in long jump. Goodwin, a two-time NCAA champion in the event, is now with the Bills getting ready for the 2016 season.

I believe he holds the HS record in the Long Jump -  He was really fast too.

Ginn is one of several NFL players who had stellar track careers before football — a sport where Olympic speed is a coveted commodity. Many of them were so good at sprints, jumps and hurdles in college or high school that they thought long and hard about pursuing Olympic gold over a Super Bowl ring.

I remember him being part of one of the best 4x200 relays of all time in HS 

No one answered my question about why so many Football players come here to McKinney and train with Michael Johnson 

Heisman Trophy Winners = High School Track and Field  This is just a sample from a list about the sports. 

Name Position HS Event HS Performance Marcus Mariota QB LJ / 400R 20’06 / 42.83 Robert Griffin III QB 110H / 300IH 13.53 /35.33 Mark Ingram Jr. RB 60 / 200 7.01 / 22.30 Troy Smith QB LJ 21’04 Reggie Bush RB 100 / 200 10.42 / 21.07 Eric Crouch QB 100 /200 10.64 / 21.84 Ron Dayne RB SP / Discus 64’06” / 206’01” Ricky Williams RB 400R 42.83 Eddie George RB 110HH 14.03 Rashaan Salaam RB 200 / 400 22.84 / 49.44 Ty Detmer QB 300IH 42.00 Tim Brown WR LJ / 400 24’03” / 47.14 Vinny Testaverde QB Javelin 212’01” Bo Jackson RB HJ / LJ / 110H 6’09” / 24’08” / 13.80 Herschel Walker RB 100y/220y/SP 9.5 / 21.5 /53’03 Charles White RB 110H / 300IH 14.14 / 36.34 Johnny Rodgers WR LJ / TJ 23’00” / 46’09” Billy Cannon RB 100y / SP 9.7 / 57’10”

Explosive power and speed are fundamental to football and track. Chris Korfist and I have led a campaign to merge the two sports into a year-round training program where both sports benefit. More important, merged programs fight the cancer of specialization prevalent in today’s schools.

Selfish football coaches actively promote specialization or quietly condone the concept of the one-sport athlete.

Distance coaches who lack the speed-power mindset are often head track coaches. Their volume-based run-run-run mentality fails to attract football players. The football players who do come out for the team get discouraged and defect to their safe zone, the weight room.

Too many football coaches treat their players like indentured servants. To the tyrannical football coach, the more control, the better.

Too many track coaches complain about the football staff while their program consists of distance runners and non-athletes.

Many football coaches fail to understand the incredible value of track & field.

Many track coaches fail to offer a training program that attracts running backs and wide receivers.

In Illinois, only 43% of scholarship football players run track. In Texas, 74% of scholarship football players run track. Since Illinois produces about 20% the number of football scholarships as Texas, maybe Illinois should reconsider specialization.

Bringing football and track together takes more than talk, compromise, and rational thinking.

Football has lots to learn. Training is so much more than hard work and creating mental toughness. I walk away from any coach who brags about torturous workouts.

On the other hand, track must learn to train football players as explosive sprinters. High-volume fitness sessions are not sprint workouts. Sprint programs must be based on sprinting.

Our first consortium attracted nearly 75 people. Consortium II attracted 200 people from 13 states. Some were track coaches, some were football coaches, and many coached both. We even had distance coaches, personal trainers, and chiropractors attend.

Several of our sessions will teach sports activation. “Be-Activated” is a manual therapy system developed and taught by South Africa’s Douglas Heel. We aren’t selling activation; we are teaching it. What if you could improve the performance of your athletes? What if you could prevent injury? What if you could take your athletes from fight, flight, or freeze to the parasympathetic state? If this sounds interesting, Consortium III is the place to be.

Another simple question list the 4 fastest States in T&F and then list the 4 best HS football States.  This is one helluva coincidence isn't it.  Like 4 for 4

Texas, Georgia, Florida, Cali in whatever order you like it is these 4 without a doubt.  And if you look at T&F top kids you will see these 4.  And they also dominate Football.  

74% of Scholarship Football players in Texas participate in Track & Field that is a fact.  Been like this forever here in Texas.  

Get out and go to a Track meet chill with the kids enjoy the Sun and have a great day. 

The best Spectator sport and offers more excitement in matter of seconds that you could ever experience.  Like this 

Doing it Texas Style 2 weeks ago at the Texas Relays.  WE ARE FAST THAT'S FOR DAMN SURE and Track is huge here. 

Fastest kid in HS .  This kid  Schwartz is Amazing.   Barnes from here is now back and running well. Will be interesting what he runs in State.  Those two kids are blazing fast both Football players as well. 

America's Top 20 100m Sprinters in HS.   Should be called the FL & TX invitational 

Athlete   Mark ST Team Date Meet
1. 12 Anthony Schwartz   10.13 PR (2.1) FL American Heritage Mar 02 Sam Burley Hall of Fame Invitational
2. 12 Kalon Barnes*   10.23 TX Silsbee Apr 05 UIL 4A District 22 (M,Th)
3. 12 Shaun Shivers   10.29 PR (3.0) FL Chaminade-Madonna College Prep Mar 17 Miami Hurricane Invitational
4. 12 Austin Kratz* video16h.png 10.34 PR (1.5) PA Dock Mennonite Academy Apr 07 Arcadia Invitational
  11 Tyrese Cooper   10.34 PR (2.1) FL Miami Norland Mar 02 Sam Burley Hall of Fame Invitational
6. 12 Keishawn Everly   10.37 (3.6) TX Ft Worth Trimble Tech Mar 31 91st Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays (W-Sa)
7. 11 Kyron Cumby   10.38 PR TX Plano Mar 23 Plano ISD Russ Schuler Invitational
8.   Seth Holloway   10.39 PR GA Fayette County Mar 24 Carrollton Invitational
  12 Tyson Cambell   10.39 PR (2.1) FL American Heritage Mar 02 Sam Burley Hall of Fame Invitational
10. 12 Bryand Rincher   10.40 (2.4) FL Piper Mar 02 Sam Burley Hall of Fame Invitational
11. 12 Jacolby Shelton   10.41 TX Pearland Dawson Mar 09 Lancaster Meet of Champions
  11 Caleb McMiller*   10.41 PR TX John Tyler Apr 06 UIL 6A District 11 (W,F)
13. 12 Asante Fazarro   10.42 PR (3.6) TX Allen Mar 31 91st Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays (W-Sa)
  11 Jacquez Stuart   10.42 PR (3.0) FL Miami Northwestern Mar 17 Bob Hayes HS Invitational
  11 Caleb Boger   10.42 PR TX Mesquite Mar 29 Mesquite ISD Invitational
16. 12 Steven Stallings   10.43 PR (2.2) FL G Holmes Braddock Mar 24 FSU Relays
  12 Eric Allen* video16h.png 10.43 PR (1.5) MD Bullis Apr 07 Arcadia Invitational
18. 9 Jose Garcia   10.44 PR TX Harlingen Feb 17 Brownsville ISD Sam's Relays
19. 11 Ismael Kone   10.46 PR TX Richardson Lake Highlands Mar 29 Naaman Forest Relays
  12 Zantyler Foster-Hooks   10.46 PR (3.6) TX Corsicana Mar 31 91st Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays (W-Sa)
  12 Terrence Horne, Jr   10.46 (1.7) FL Miramar Mar 31 Pepsi Florida Relays
  Fr Stephan Charles   10.46 PR CS Nightriders

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/27/nfl-draft-combine-2018-nick-chubb-georgia-training

He didn’t need an olympic gold medalist or IMG to prep him and he had everything riding on the combine as everyone scrutinized his repaired left knee results from lateral movements to 10 yard dash explosiveness to drills on the field.  He did excellent at the combine and didn’t dish out 40K to do it.  

Many of the kids in hs go to a specialized football training facility.   Many QB’s have a training coach specifically for QB’s only.  Linemen train differently than the speedsters.  

Football coaching has obviously a tremendous amount of importance as well as the conditioning of the kids for success.   

Athletes do athletic things, whether it be Wrestling, lax, baseball, bb or t&f.  Track fits all sizes and many events to choose from.   

10 hours ago, DevilDog said:

No one answered my question about why so many Football players come here to McKinney and train with Michael Johnson 

Heisman Trophy Winners = High School Track and Field  This is just a sample from a list about the sports. 

Name Position HS Event HS Performance Marcus Mariota QB LJ / 400R 20’06 / 42.83 Robert Griffin III QB 110H / 300IH 13.53 /35.33 Mark Ingram Jr. RB 60 / 200 7.01 / 22.30 Troy Smith QB LJ 21’04 Reggie Bush RB 100 / 200 10.42 / 21.07 Eric Crouch QB 100 /200 10.64 / 21.84 Ron Dayne RB SP / Discus 64’06” / 206’01” Ricky Williams RB 400R 42.83 Eddie George RB 110HH 14.03 Rashaan Salaam RB 200 / 400 22.84 / 49.44 Ty Detmer QB 300IH 42.00 Tim Brown WR LJ / 400 24’03” / 47.14 Vinny Testaverde QB Javelin 212’01” Bo Jackson RB HJ / LJ / 110H 6’09” / 24’08” / 13.80 Herschel Walker RB 100y/220y/SP 9.5 / 21.5 /53’03 Charles White RB 110H / 300IH 14.14 / 36.34 Johnny Rodgers WR LJ / TJ 23’00” / 46’09” Billy Cannon RB 100y / SP 9.7 / 57’10”

It's simple - to better their 40 time...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Texasball said:

Interesting.  What is his DOB.  When did he turn 19?

https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/athlete=319339

Jamal Walton (400 best in country) was born a few weeks before Barnes.  Both finish U20 this year.  Walton ripped a 44.99 last year at age 18.  Barnes looks ready to drop a sub 10.2 this season.  He’s close with pb.  

• Thanks 1

Mark my words - Over time Track and Field will be the standard for judging overall athletic ability of the majority of football players moving from HS Football to College Football.

With the history of Track and Field - Players now can be compared to players from many years ago

The movement has already started.  When talking about HS kids, Track and Field results are more reliable than camps, combines, or anything else that kids waste money on to help with recruiting.  

15 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Mark my words - Over time Track and Field will be the standard for judging overall athletic ability of the majority of football players moving from HS Football to College Football.

With the history of Track and Field - Players now can be compared to players from many years ago

The movement has already started.  When talking about HS kids, Track and Field results are more reliable than camps, combines, or anything else that kids waste money on to help with recruiting.  

Going to the college camps are good thing too.

12 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Nick Chubb proved his athletic ability before he every went to Georgia with his HS track and Field results

10.69 100m

21.83 200m

55' 8" Shot Put

ran on 4x100 team that produced 42.70

Match the above with good game film, grades, character, - Football recruiter knows he has a player!

25 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Kalon Barnes is just now getting in good track shape.

It will be interesting to see if he and schwartz hook up over the summer.  Both are committed to play football in the fall - so we will see how much time they spend on the track.

I believe they are both planning to run track in college too.

As of now 42.08 is the slowest national top 100 national 4x100

Texas has 53 teams in the top 100

I believe there is only 11 states who have a team within the top 100

Texas and Florida are the only states listed in the top 17   (Texas 13 - FL 4)  

Texas has 31 teams in the top 50 national 4x100  - The slowest time is 41.74

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/athlete=319339

Jamal Walton (400 best in country) was born a few weeks before Barnes.  Both finish U20 this year.  Walton ripped a 44.99 last year at age 18.  Barnes looks ready to drop a sub 10.2 this season.  He’s close with pb.  

@Texasball I get why many don't get the T&F thing if you really look at it people like what they are good at and Really traditionally that has been Texas, Florida, California and lately Ga. busting on the scene.  It is bigger in the 1st 3 and always have hell I can remember all the way back to Houston McTear when I was a Young Kid in Beast Texas and Being Cowboy Fan how Bob Hayes changed the game and made defenses develop the Zone to cover him all Fl dudes and fast as hell.  And as a Texas kid I remember Roy Martin who was a few years behind me here in Texas running the 200m in freaking an unofficial time of 19.74 in front of 30K.    There is a thread on here about Hockey I never read one post in it.  Because we suck in Hockey and I have no interest.  So I get it we are Beast's in T&F along with Cali and Fl.   And most of the great Speed guys from those States are also football Players.   I remember one year the Summer Olympics had like 20+ Texans.  I Remember being in HS and the word going around how FT. Worth Wyatt ran a sub 40 and they went to Florida and proved it and also smoked everyone at the NB National championships again running in the 39's as many didn't believe this was true and some crazy Texas Wind.  And PAM breaking that magical Barrier this year.  How the only Girls 4x100 to run in the 44's are all Texas and Cali Girls.  Wyattran a sub 40  4 times that year. 2 outside of Texas    Check out these HS Track Phenom's.  Damn near everyone of them were football players.   Goodwin is a emerging star with that speed in San Francisco right now.  I know there are great Football players across America that play other sports and T&F is not your thing.  It is for the Big 3 and always have been back to Bullet Bob Hayes in Florida (Dallas Cowboys) and Homer Jones Texas kid (New York Giants) all track guys with crazy football Stats.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/article20868297.html