OT: HS track

golfaddict1

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

Then there was reality.

Little guys running a circle proves football depth!

Keep up the good fight!

Tell the kid I mentioned above he is small “Baylor Cupp”.

kid looks great on Film playing against small town 3A kids

then his HS coaches starting telling recruiters that he could really run.  Track stats prove they are telling the truth.

you keep believing only small kids are running track and ignore all the other events - just stay ignorant because you like it there,

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

I'm not that concerned with La speed..

I just have to look at the NFL Combine and LSU Pro Day....etc

Keep us all posted on Blockhead High, TX running a 42.50 4x100. xD

This mostly your problem -  What does the NFL Combine and LSU pro day have to do with High School Football and athletes in the state of Louisiana?

How many High School teams and High School players are in Louisiana?

How many of them went to the NFL Combine?  

How many of them participated in the LSU pro day?  You do realize that LSU has players from OOS right?

You believe that those two events give good indication of the overall level of athletes and teams in the Louisiana High schools?

You realize that their is a lot of good HS players who never make it to the pro's?

Change your focus on what makes a good HS football player and good HS team - Then the truth will set you free.

Again - Track and Field results prove that the state of Louisiana is a really good small state.  based on the population of the state - Louisiana produces at a very good level (talking hs only) when it comes to track results - They also produce good football players and teams at high level (HS Only)  I am not focused on the college game or the number of players in the NFL.  However, it's not shocking to me that Louisiana blows away many states - when it comes to college and NFL players ---They produce better results in Track and Field on the HS level than the big majority of the states.

9 hours ago, Texasball said:

Again - It's more than just this race.

Funny thing is - Just last track season Lake Travis ran 3:16 4x400 relay and that time would have been the #1 time in Louisiana by nearly 2 sec's

The have produced 9 different kids this year that have ran sub 24 flat 200m -  2 of them was sub 23 flat.

Louisiana is good small state -  They produce at a damn good level for the size of the state - In fact Louisiana does a good job backing up my stance on the correlation between the two sports.   

I know you have burst, acceleration, stopping starting, jumping, coordination.  There is a big reason for it here in Texas.  I don't speak for other States because I don't watch them.  Other than Florida and Cali because historically they have a similar model of athletes and you see the same thing from years ago.  Almost all their top guys especially skill kids are like Texas and ran track from OJ to Bush.  You actually can see Florida, Cali and Texas kids who were football studs running track in College too.

Hell RGIII was one of the best Hurdlers ever in HS.  You will be hard pressed to find a NFL skill guy or big guy from Tx that was not in T&F. 

Look at Adrian Peterson In H.S. @ Palestine in Beast Texas

Peterson followed in his mother's footsteps to excel in track & field , where he won several medals in events such as the 100 meters, 200 meters, triple jump, and long jump. Peterson's coach has stated that he believes that, had he not chosen a career in football, Peterson could have become an Olympic sprinter instead.  He recorded a wind-legal time of 10.26 seconds in the 100-meter dash at the 2002 District 15-4A Championships, where he took first by a large margin.  He also posted a wind-assisted time of 10.33 seconds in the 100 meters at the 2003 UIL State Track Meet, where he earned a second-place finish behind Ivory Williams who won the 2004 World Junior Championship over the same distance. At the 2004 District 14-4A Championships, Peterson ran the second leg on the Palestine 4 × 100 m relay squad, helping lead them to victory with a time of 41.50 seconds.  Peterson has stated that his personal-best times are 10.19 seconds in the 100 meters, 21.23 seconds in the 200 meters, and 47.6 seconds in the 400 meters.

2003 Texas State 100m Final 4A

Men 100 Meter Dash 4A
=====================================================================================
    Name                    Year School                  Seed     Finals  Wind Points
=====================================================================================
  1 Ivory Williams               Bmnt Central           10.92      10.16   3.2   10 
  2 Adrian Peterson              Palestine              10.96      10.33   3.2    8 
  3 Anthony Aldridge             Denton                 10.44      10.33   3.2    6 
  4 Bradley Reed                 Greenville             10.77      10.43   3.2    4 
  5 Jeremy Waddle                Aus Johnson            11.25      10.61   3.2    2 
  6 Deondrick Nunez              Del Valle              11.11      10.72   3.2    1 
  7 Jarvis Bonner                W Columbia             11.09      10.74   3.2
  8 Josef Cooper                 FW Southwest           10.81      11.39   3.2

Men 200 Meter Dash 4A
    Name                    Year School                  Seed     Finals  Wind Points
  1 Ivory Williams               Bmnt Central           21.55      20.85   2.5   10 
  2 Adrian Peterson              Palestine              21.72      21.23   2.5    8 
  3 Rashod Turner                Marshall               21.59      21.37   2.5    6 
  4 Kendrick Smith               Lub Estacado           21.46      21.47   2.5    4 
  5 Joey Gomez                   Edcouch-Elsa                      21.91   2.5    2 
  6 Gordon Scott                 Denton                 21.49      22.22   2.5    1 
  7 Dustin Haywood               Bastrop                22.39      22.33   2.5
-- Jarvis Bonner                W Columbia             21.90        DNF   2.5

This is the guy who beat A.P. @ State guess what he did well too?  Football

Born in Jefferson County, Texas,  Ivory Williams attended Central High School in Beaumont, where he was a two-sport athlete. As a wide receiver and all-purpose back, he was ranked as the No. 40 football prospect in the state by Rivals.com. In track and field, he competed at the 2002 United States Junior Championships, taking bronze in the 200 meters and finishing in fourth place in the 100 m. In his senior season in 2003, Williams was unbeaten on the track. His first major junior tournament was the 2004 World Junior Championships in Athletics. He produced a season's best of 10.29 seconds to win the 100 m event, beating favourite Abidemi Omole. He followed this up with another gold medal in the 4×100 meters relay, setting a junior world record of 38.66 seconds with teammates Omole, Trell Kimmons, and LaShawn Merritt

Athletes tend to be athletic, which might mean they are fast and/or strong and in HS a good majority of them participate in football and another sport or two... track and field and basketball are the two popular choices in terms of %, with T&F being the most common.   

T&F is ideal for football, mainly because from the big linemen to the tiny slot receivers there's an event for you.   

1.  Keeps you in shape   2.  Keeps the competitive edge going   3.  Camaraderie with football teammates   

Four star football recruit Josh Sanguinetti played on the elite USchool basketball team this past season.  The top player for USchool, Vernon Carey's father played in the NFL as an OL.   Many QB's play baseball.   SJR has an elite OL recruit who plays Lax, how's that for athletic.  

7 on 7 is not real football... bench press reps and relay races, now we're talking.  

• Like 1

I think sometimes there are players with great football speed that run better than some of these elite track guys.   It's all about making moves without slowing down and really good hips.    I'll take a kid that runs a slower 100m but can cut up the field plant his foot effortlessly over a straight line burner that can't move smooth laterally.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasball said:

Tell the kid I mentioned above he is small “Baylor Cupp”.

kid looks great on Film playing against small town 3A kids

then his HS coaches starting telling recruiters that he could really run.  Track stats prove they are telling the truth.

you keep believing only small kids are running track and ignore all the other events - just stay ignorant because you like it there,

Keep dreaming that track makes football players and proves some sort of depth myth.

It's your dime!

34 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I think sometimes there are players with great football speed that run better than some of these elite track guys.   It's all about making moves without slowing down and really good hips.    I'll take a kid that runs a slower 100m but can cut up the field plant his foot effortlessly over a straight line burner that can't move smooth laterally.  

Running a fast 4x100 improves football tackling. Whiff......xD

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

A lot of this is true and there is a reason they have the 40 yd dash in the Combine along with Jumping, Cutting, explosive drills and strength believe it or not those are all things that T&F develops.  Michael Carter was one of the greatest HS Shot Putters in History here in Texas and was a great football player @ SMU and the 49ers.   In Texas I can't speak for others it is the go to sport outside football.  You only have 5 kids starting in Basketball, Damn near half of your football team can compete in an event in Track including long jump, High Jump, shot put, discuss etc.  Hell most Pole Vaulters have great speed like Long Jumpers as it is needed.  Doesn't mean they are great football players.  You can teach a kid to catch a ball you can't teach him to run and get it.  But if he has the go get It in him.  I will take him over a slow as Fuck running great routes.  More likely the CB covering him is a track guy. :D  Why do so many Football players come to McKinney, Texas to train at this place ran by a guy that didn't play football? Like all those fast guys at the combine came here including that Kid with the 1 hand the  LB from Florida Shaquem Griffin.  Clearly they see it as a big asset for their football careers. 

https://michaeljohnsonperformance.com/

The start of the New Year is a very busy time at MJP. The beginning of January begins MJP Pre-NFL Draft training programs. These programs bring in more than 30 athletes that are preparing for the NFL Combine. Over the next 9 weeks, these athletes will go through rigorous training—both physical and mental. 

They damn sure are not running to a Basketball or Baseball facility to get ready for football. 9_9

Another HUGE congratulations to Donte Jackson, DJ Chark and Shaquem Griffin on their top 40-yard dash times! MJP knows speed, with three of the top 10 times at #NFLCombine 2018 training at Michael Johnson Performance! #MJPFam #trusttheprocess.

Image may contain: 3 people, text

Here are some interesting intersections of the two: For all the talk I know this the 4 fastest States in HS T&F in America are FL, TX, GA and CA.  Now how would you rank them in Football against America.  How about 1-4 in whatever order you choose :D.  One Helluva Coincidence isn't it. B| The 4 best Basketball States are not, Baseball you could get arguments from other States.   Throw in AZ, LA, NJ, VA, and PA in the next group.  Pretty salty football as well.

https://www.freelapusa.com/10-reasons-to-join-the-track-team/

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/622/3-benefits-football-players-get-from-running-track

http://www.stack.com/a/football-run-track

This is probably the best read:

https://www.freelapusa.com/the-fusion-of-track-and-football/

LSU Women currently lead the WORLD in the Women's 4x100 @ 42.50 (they can do better than that)

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211709814

Mikiah Brisco (Baton Rouge)

Aleia Hobbs (New Orleans)

Rachel Misher (Baton Rouge)

Kortnei Johnson ( Italy, TX)

All 4 did NOT play football in high school. BUT,

would make great football players at LSU. 9_9

41 minutes ago, Texasball said:
12 Kalon Barnes*   10.23 TX Silsbee Apr 05 UIL 4A District 22 (M,Th)

Kalon remember me?-  "I am over my basketball state championship hangover" and ready to run past you.

PS - I can run fast and I am going play WR at Baylor too. could have went just about anywhere, but I have been fan of Baylor since I was a kid.

I hope you give Tyrese Cooper credit for times when he’s 19 next year.  Barnes will lose U20 status late in the year.  Schwartz is still U18 until early Sept.  

On 4/6/2018 at 10:33 AM, Texasball said:

Speed is speed 

No, it's not.

All im saying is there's a difference between track speed and football speed.

Key example: Wells had the fastest 100m time of anyone on Longview's track team. 

He wasn't even top 20 fastest players on Longview's football team....and alot of them run track.

Meaning: a particular athlete who excels at running very fast linearly on a track will not necessarily be an athlete who will display blazing movement speed on a football field.

7 hours ago, 954gator said:

Football speed is a thing.  It felt like I was faster in pads some times.  Or felt like I was running without pads.  

3 hours ago, Texasball said:
12 Kalon Barnes*   10.23 TX Silsbee Apr 05 UIL 4A District 22 (M,Th)

Kalon remember me?-  "I am over my basketball state championship hangover" and ready to run past you.

PS - I can run fast and I am going play WR at Baylor too. could have went just about anywhere, but I have been fan of Baylor since I was a kid.

Damn LSU Girls are fast there are only 5 HS in the Whole State of La. that is faster xD LSU Girls 42.50  Now that is funny.  You can only get 20 Dudes at the 5 fastest HS out of the whole State that is faster.  Meanwhile 3A Jefferson in Beast Texas would Beat them. 

Athlete   Mark ST Team Date Meet
1.   Clayton Howard
Kam Jackson
Davon Harris
Derek Turner
  41.30 LA West Feliciana Mar 15 Red Stick Classic
2. - Chandler Whitfield
Sean Burrell
Xzavyer Carter
Kendall Cleveland
  41.36 LA Zachary Mar 15 Red Stick Classic
3.   Rodney Johnson
Dwayne Lewis
Fenton Williams
Deontre Ford
  42.02 LA Karr, Edna Mar 03 CARVER HIGH MEET
4.   Trenton Charles
Dorian Camel
Torrinado Sims
Kelvin Joseph
  42.07 LA Scotlandville Mar 03 CARVER HIGH MEET
5.   Tyran Scott
Brendan Willis
Jonathan Green
Trejun Jones *
  42.31 LA Carencro Apr 04 LHSCA Meet of Champions
6.   Garland Lafran
Terroll Jolla
Donovan Rolland
Nykolas Bates
  42.51 LA St. Augusti

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I hope you give Tyrese Cooper credit for times when he’s 19 next year.  Barnes will lose U20 status late in the year.  Schwartz is still U18 until early Sept.  

Had he turned 19 prior to to last September he would not have been eligible to play any sport this year his Sr year.

53 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

No, it's not.

All im saying is there's a difference between track speed and football speed.

Key example: Wells had the fastest 100m time of anyone on Longview's track team. 

He wasn't even top 20 fastest players on Longview's football team....and alot of them run track.

Meaning: a particular athlete who excels at running very fast linearly on a track will not necessarily be an athlete who will display blazing movement speed on a football field.

You are right  (Jerry Rice) and if I asked you to name the 3 fastest HS in Texas (football). Who would you name? I bet they would be high on your Track list as well.  And in Texas what Skill guy at the Highest level didn't run Track here.  I bet over 80-90% did in Texas.  I go to the meets and see them and talk to the kids and the majority are football Players.  I'm not saying it makes you a great football team I'm saying it helps you as an individual in the game of Football.

This is a Statement from those that research both

Track is the sister sport of football. 78% of track events (14 of 18) feature sprinting, jumping, and explosion.

11 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Football speed is a thing.  It felt like I was faster in pads some times.  Or felt like I was running without pads.  

If track made football players every coach in America would just run track at football practices. xD

Louisiana currently has 3 in the Top 10 Nationally in the Javelin including #1........guess we put out a good QB.

Javelin - 800g
1. 12 Tzuriel Pedigo   234' 11 PR LA Parkview Baptist Mar 31 91st Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays (W-Sa)
2. 10 Sam Hankins   211' 10 PR KS Manhattan Mar 15 Topeka West Mid Winter Relays
3. 12 Carlan Naisant   204' 0 PR AZ Marcos De Niza Mar 24 78th NIKE Chandler Rotary Seeded
4. 12 Zach Annanie   201' 6 PR WA Lakeside (Nine Mile) Mar 30 Riverside Invite
5. 12 Hunter Krom   198' 9 KS Lawrence Mar 15 Topeka West Mid Winter Relays
6. 12 Kobe Roberts*   197' 1 PR NJ Mainland Regional Apr 06 Jim Camburn Memorial Buena Relays
7. 12 Tripp Marcus   196' 10 LA Cedar Creek Mar 03 D & H Relays
8. 12 Ashton Domingue   194' 11 AL Briarwood Christian Mar 24 Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic
9. 12 Sawyer Christopher   193' 6 PR OR Lincoln Mar 20 PIL Lincoln & Roosevelt @ Madison
10. 11 Luke Jackson   191' 9 LA Loyola Prep Mar 24 Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic

59 minutes ago, RedZone said:

If track made football players every coach in America would just run track at football practices. xD

Louisiana currently has 3 in the Top 10 Nationally in the Javelin including #1........guess we put out a good QB.

Javelin - 800g
1. 12 Tzuriel Pedigo   234' 11 PR LA Parkview Baptist Mar 31 91st Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays (W-Sa)
2. 10 Sam Hankins   211' 10 PR KS Manhattan Mar 15 Topeka West Mid Winter Relays
3. 12 Carlan Naisant   204' 0 PR AZ Marcos De Niza Mar 24 78th NIKE Chandler Rotary Seeded
4. 12 Zach Annanie   201' 6 PR WA Lakeside (Nine Mile) Mar 30 Riverside Invite
5. 12 Hunter Krom   198' 9 KS Lawrence Mar 15 Topeka West Mid Winter Relays
6. 12 Kobe Roberts*   197' 1 PR NJ Mainland Regional Apr 06 Jim Camburn Memorial Buena Relays
7. 12 Tripp Marcus   196' 10 LA Cedar Creek Mar 03 D & H Relays
8. 12 Ashton Domingue   194' 11 AL Briarwood Christian Mar 24 Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic
9. 12 Sawyer Christopher   193' 6 PR OR Lincoln Mar 20 PIL Lincoln & Roosevelt @ Madison
10. 11 Luke Jackson   191' 9 LA Loyola Prep Mar 24 Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic

Terry Bradshaw was from Louisiana and was also a very good Javelin thrower.  

Wished Texas did the Javelin too

9 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Athletes tend to be athletic, which might mean they are fast and/or strong and in HS a good majority of them participate in football and another sport or two... track and field and basketball are the two popular choices in terms of %, with T&F being the most common.   

T&F is ideal for football, mainly because from the big linemen to the tiny slot receivers there's an event for you.   

1.  Keeps you in shape   2.  Keeps the competitive edge going   3.  Camaraderie with football teammates   

Four star football recruit Josh Sanguinetti played on the elite USchool basketball team this past season.  The top player for USchool, Vernon Carey's father played in the NFL as an OL.   Many QB's play baseball.   SJR has an elite OL recruit who plays Lax, how's that for athletic.  

7 on 7 is not real football... bench press reps and relay races, now we're talking.  

2017 NFL Draft  - I hate to go here...My argument is on the HS level.

Pick 1, Cleveland Browns: Myles Garrett, defensive end, Texas A&M

Garrett comes from a family of great athletes. His brother, Sean Williams, played five seasons in the NBA, but his older sister Brea was the track star as she was the 2014 NCAA champion in the weight throw at Texas A&M. As for Myles, he only competed sparingly in track & field at Marlin High School in Arlington, Texas, but he logged solid personal bests of 52-4 in the shot put and 166-7 in the discus.

Pick 3, San Francisco 49ers: Solomon Thomas, defensive end, Stanford

Thomas didn’t have much success as a thrower at Coppell (Texas) High School, recording a PR of 44-11.75, but if his Athletic.net profile is to be believed, he was an impressive distance runner for his size. The now 6-8, 273-pound Thomas is listed as having run 4:46 for the 1600 and 10:09 for the 3200 as a junior.

PIck 4  -Fournette ran personal bests of 6.55 (indoor 55-meter dash) and 21.78 (200) at St. Augustine High School in New Orleans and anchored St. Augustine to a Louisiana 4A state title in the 4×100 in 2013.

Pick 5, Tennessee Titans: Corey Davis, wide receiver, Western Michigan

Davis, the all-time NCAA FBS leader in receiving yards, ran track at Wheaton Warrenville South (Ill.) High School, but his personal bests were modest: 6.64 in the indoor 55, 53.56 in the 400 and 21-0 in the long jump.

Pick 6, New York Jets: Jamal Adams, safety, Louisiana State

Adams ran personal bests of 10.89 and 21.94 at Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas, but was not able to qualify for the state meet in the tough 5A division.

Pick 7, Los Angeles Chargers: Mike Williams, wide receiver, Clemson

Athletic.net only lists one season for Williams, but that one season went pretty well: he jumped 6-6 to win the South Carolina 3A state title in the high jump as a junior at Lake Marion High School.

Pick 8, Carolina Panthers: Christian McCaffrey, running back, Stanford

It’s a well-known fact that Christian is the son of Ed McCaffrey, a former NFL wide receiver who won three Super Bowl rings with the 49ers and Broncos. But Christian actually gets his speed from his mother’s side, as his maternal grandfather is Dave Sime, who broke or tied nine world records duing his career as a sprinter/hurdler, according to the New York Times. Sime earned Olympic silver over 100 meters in 1960 and was also in line to earn a gold as anchor of the 4×100 relay but the U.S. was DQ’d for passing outside of the handoff zone. Some things never change.

As for Christian’s own career, he ran PRs of 10.89 and 22.17 at Valor Christian High School in Colorado. His best finish at the Colorado 4A state meet was sixth in the 100 as a senior.

Pick 9, Cincinnati Bengals: John Ross, wide receiver, Washington

Ross, who broke the NFL Combine record in the 40-yard dash this year (4.22), never ran at the California state meet while at Jordan High School in Long Beach, though he did clock personal bests of 10.66 and 21.56. Given his blazing 40 time, he could have been a factor at NCAAs in the 60 had he suited up for the Huskies’ track team.

Pick 14, Philadelphia Eagles: Derek Barnett, defensive end, Tennessee

Barnett, who attended Brentwood Academy in Nashville, finished 3rd at the Tennessee Division II state champs in the discus and 4th in the shot put in 2014. He threw PRs of 154-10 (discus) and 54-5 (shot put).

Pick 16 

Humphrey was a legitimate track star in high school. As a junior at Hoover (Ala.) High School, he ran 13.24 in the 110 hurdles (36-inch barriers) into a -1.1 m/s headwind to take silver at the World Youth Championships in 2013. He also won the 400 hurdles at New Balance Nationals that year, running 50.25 (33-inch barriers) and made it to the final at World Youths, though he had to miss the final due to injury.

Humphrey ran track during his freshman year at Alabama, running 55.56 in the 400 hurdles at SECs and running on their 4×400 relay at NCAAs, but gave it up to focus on his football career.

Pick 18, Tennessee Titans: Adoree’ Jackson, cornerback, Southern California

Jackson ran 10.89 and 21.59 at Junípero Serra High School in Gardena, Calif., but it was in the long jump that he truly excelled. Jackson jumped 25-5.25 as a senior, the second-longest jump in the country in 2014. He ran on the track team both of his springs at USC and found great success, twice finishing 5th at NCAAs in the long jump. He was 10th in the long jump at last year’s Olympic Trials and also found success in the 100, finishing 2nd at Pac-12s last year in 10.44. He also teamed up with Andre De Grasse to help the Trojans finish 4th in the 4×100 at NCAAs in 2015.

Pick 24, Oakland Raiders: Gareon Conley, cornerback, Ohio State

Conley enjoyed modest success at Washington High School in Massillon, Ohio, running PRs of 11.22, 22.65, 49.98 on the track in addition to long jumping 21-7.5.

Pick 25, Cleveland Browns: Jabrill Peppers, safety, Michigan

Peppers played safety, running back and punt/kick returner in Ann Arbor, and his versatility extended off the football field. As a high schooler at Paramus (N.J.) Catholic, he swept the 100 and 200 at the New Jersey state meet in 2013 and 2014. His high school PRs were 10.51 and 21.13.

Pick 26, Atlanta Falcons: Takkarist McKinley, linebacker, UCLA

McKinley, who now stands 6-2, 250 pounds, runs extremely well for his size. At Kennedy High School in Richmond, Calif., he ran 10.58 at the California state meet in 2012 and 21.58 into a 1.0 m/s headwind the following year.

Pick 29, Cleveland Browns: David Njoku, tight end, Miami

Njoku won the national title in the high jump at the 2014 New Balance Nationals and recorded a best of 7-1 in high school. He competed in track at Miami in 2015 and 2016, taking 6th at ACC Indoors in 2015 and 8th in 2016.

Pick 30, Pittsburgh Steelers: T.J. Watt, linebacker, Wisconsin

Watt, younger brother of defensive lineman/superhero J.J. Watt of the Texans, was an exceptional thrower at Pewaukee (Wis.) High School, earning PRs of 60-2 in the shot put and 161-0 in the discus. He won the former event at the Wisconsin Division II state championships in 2013. Both J.J. and middle brother Derek also won shot put state titles at Pewaukee, but T.J. owns the school record — which used to be held by the boys’ father, John.