OT: HS track

golfaddict1

On June 4, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Texasball said:

It would be really cool if in the coming years - we could have true all-star track meet - state vs states - All states welcomed 

I going to start using my connections to make this happen.

California needs to end their season one or two weeks earlier!

If Not - the rest of the nation can run without them!

Yeah it'd be awesome to have a national relay event with the power states.    Have Texas, Cali, Fl, Ga, maybe one more state.  Then have team USA be a team made from the rest of the states left.   Maybe add an international team (like Jamaica/Japan etc)

That there would be awesome.  

1 hour ago, westbankeagle said:

That article is also not correct.  At least one competitor turns 19 this year so it isn't a youth record, plus one kid competes for the Cayman Islands not the US.

Age is fine... still youth per USATF definition and records.  The meet site reflected relays with states... and since one kid was from LA, they used USA instead of FL.   The site recognized the meet record with an asterisk, so we'll see what the USAT record keeper (s) decide.   Had they brought Tyquan Thornton from BTW (who was working out at a U camp and earned a verbal offer at WR from Miami) they would have broke the record easily in a higher 3:03 or low 3:04 with a Florida team name.   

Walton at times looks like the top HS 400 runner (44.5 to 44.8 split is burning), but until he beats Cooper head to head and has a better time gotta stay with Cooper for the moment.  

12 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Age is fine... still youth per USATF definition and records.  The meet site reflected relays with states... and since one kid was from LA, they used USA instead of FL.   The site recognized the meet record with an asterisk, so we'll see what the USAT record keeper (s) decide.   Had they brought Tyquan Thornton from BTW (who was working out at a U camp and earned a verbal offer at WR from Miami) they would have broke the record easily in a higher 3:03 or low 3:04 with a Florida team name.   

Walton at times looks like the top HS 400 runner (44.5 to 44.8 split is burning), but until he beats Cooper head to head and has a better time gotta stay with Cooper for the moment.  

No, junior is the name for u20 division, youth is the u18 division.  You can't turn 19 that year and compete u18.

2 hours ago, westbankeagle said:

That's age divisions for the junior Olympics.  It's not the same the thing as JR Nationals or Youth Worlds etc.  By the same link you price lid Ed it would prove it couldn't be a record because you can't run up in USATF and one kid was 15.  

You are correct, it isn't like the Nationals with an age bracket category.  This is a hybrid time, but I stand by my last statement.  American youth record for 17-18 year olds is 3:06.22... http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records/view.asp?division=american&location=outdoor track %26 field&age=youth&sport=TF  

It was last updated Jan. 31, 2017.   Let's come back to this subject when the page is updated and see if 3:03.35 is the new #1 American youth record.  I think it will be as I see no reason it shouldn't.  All 4 competitors by definition of the USATF organization were 18 or younger and because of 3 runners, the 17-18 bracket will be used as the oldest age competitors under the Youth categories.   

The World U20  #1 all-time had Merritt and Clement on it at the age of 18 and ran a 3:01.09... but  U20 2017 leader is Trinidad and Tobago's 3:09.32 per the IAAF.org site, and that should be replaced with these kids 3:03.35 soon.  

U18 - Cooper has the world lead in '17 (top 6 times actually once updated), Burrell will be #3 ranked once updated (just 15).  

U20 - Cooper is #3 once they update his 45.38 on the IAAF site  (just 17), Jamal Walton #5 

26 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

You are correct, it isn't like the Nationals with an age bracket category.  This is a hybrid time, but I stand by my last statement.  American youth record for 17-18 year olds is 3:06.22... http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records/view.asp?division=american&location=outdoor track %26 field&age=youth&sport=TF  

It was last updated Jan. 31, 2017.   Let's come back to this subject when the page is updated and see if 3:03.35 is the new #1 American youth record.  I think it will be as I see no reason it shouldn't.  All 4 competitors by definition of the USATF organization were 18 or younger and because of 3 runners, the 17-18 bracket will be used as the oldest age competitors under the Youth categories.   

The World U20  #1 all-time had Merritt and Clement on it at the age of 18 and ran a 3:01.09... but  U20 2017 leader is Trinidad and Tobago's 3:09.32 per the IAAF.org site, and that should be replaced with these kids 3:03.35 soon.  

U18 - Cooper has the world lead in '17 (top 6 times actually once updated), Burrell will be #3 ranked once updated (just 15).  

U20 - Cooper is #3 once they update his 45.38 on the IAAF site  (just 17), Jamal Walton #5 

That's great, but that's not how the IAAF does it's records.  I'm sure there are plenty of other 17 year olds who didn't count for u18 marks because they turned 18 that year.  Also, there is no record category of "American youth"

25 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

That's great, but that's not how the IAAF does it's records.  I'm sure there are plenty of other 17 year olds who didn't count for u18 marks because they turned 18 that year.  Also, there is no record category of "American youth

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/Records.aspx

Lets wait for the updates.  I will go 0-2, 1-1 or 2-0.  The IAAF update will be first.  Once Cooper's 45.38 updates we'll have the answer on the 4x400 list.  

They are using Youth as U18.  The horror.   

17 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/Records.aspx

Lets wait for the updates.  I will go 0-2, 1-1 or 2-0.  The IAAF update will be first.  Once Cooper's 45.38 updates we'll have the answer on the 4x400 list.  

They are using Youth as U18.  The horror.   

Jamal Walton is already on the lists for the Caymans under u20, yet not u18 for the same performance. Case closed. https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/200-metres/outdoor/men/u20/2017

4 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

Jamal Walton is already on the lists for the Caymans under u20, yet not u18 for the same performance. Case closed. https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/200-metres/outdoor/men/u20/2017

Are you saying an 18 yr old should be listed in the U18 rankings?   He competed in a Caribbean event this year.  That may be a sign the IAAF site used his country as USA wouldn't qualify of course.  

He competed in a US nationals event in 2015.  He started at STA in 9th grade.  Perhaps dual citizenship.  Doesn't change a thing about the two events I expect to see ranked in due time.  Meet page shows USA not USA and friends.  It wasn't an international event.    I like my chances honestly.  

3 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

I'm not even sure what you are saying anymore.  Jamal Walton is not eligible for u18 marks anymore, therefore the 4x4 didnt run any national record except maybe fastest group of high school athletes to run a 4x4 but that isnt a recognized record by anyone.

Take a deep breath and read what's been posted.  I included an U20 mention that on the IAAF site they should be first and they will be soon.  With Cayman Islands Walton :)  it will/should be listed under USA  

Secondly, you have this IAAF blinders thing going on.  US youth the label you mention being no such thing refers to the summer season as being through age 18. Walton is 18 and very well setup for the youth American record... in due time once that non IAAF site updates.  

Anything else?    

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

Take a deep breath and read what's been posted.  I included an U20 mention that on the IAAF site they should be first and they will be soon.  With Cayman Islands Walton :)  it will/should be listed under USA  

Secondly, you have this IAAF blinders thing going on.  US youth the label you mention being no such thing refers to the summer season as being through age 18. Walton is 18 and very well setup for the youth American record... in due time once that non IAAF site updates.  

Anything else?    

What age group are you referring to?  American Youth is a category, or type, of competition.  You have 3 athletes who are in the 17-18 category under USATF summer track rules and 1 in 15-16 category.  You cannot run up to the 17-18 if you are in the 15-16 category.  Therefore, you are citing it as a record that doesn't exist.  There is no 15-18 4x4 record.  Someone somewhere ran a 150 meter race faster than anyone else in the world.  Does that mean it is a recognized record?  No.  

I see this actually ending quick.  

Heres the deal... you believe a youth national record has to be with 17- 18 age bracket.  

My contention is what this writer states below.  Here are 4 youths by definition... who cares how old they are as long as they are not 19 by the end of outdoor track season (by definition).  This was not a nationals event!   

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/213783-youth-usa-4x400-team-runs-legendary-relay-at-great-southwest-in-30335?utm_campaign=greatsouthwest2017outdoortfclassic&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=article&utm_term=4x400m  

3 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I see this actually ending quick.  

Heres the deal... you believe a youth national record has to be with 17- 18 age bracket.  

My contention is what this writer states below.  Here are 4 youths by definition... who cares how old they are as long as they are not 19 by the end of outdoor track season (by definition).  This was not a nationals event!   

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/213783-youth-usa-4x400-team-runs-legendary-relay-at-great-southwest-in-30335?utm_campaign=greatsouthwest2017outdoortfclassic&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=article&utm_term=4x400m  

We'll end with this: I believe records need to be set the way they are designed to be set.  There is no such thing as an "American Youth" record recognized by the USATF but there are 15-16 and 17-18 year old records set during the summer season.  There is no hybrid 15-18 category for record purposes by any governing body.  I already agreed that if you simply mean the fastest 4x4 by high schoolers only, then yes, although there is no governing body that would ratify that as a record.  Why isn't Trayvon Brommells 9.99 considered a record? Because the rules don't allow for wind aid over 2.0 mps.  Its what we call an "all-conditions" best meaning it is not a record, but is the fastest recorded time.  Like baseball, track and field is huge on numbers and when you start trying to find ways for numbers to be something they aren't, you skew the meaning of record.  3:03 is a national high school all-star team best in that sense, but is not a record by any governing body.

On the IAAF site they should be ranked first in the world in U20.  

On the fictitious site, they should take the lead time in American 18 and Under if you want to call it this way.  That's how I would.   You are deterring a mark because of a 15 year old phenom.  That's fine but I see no reason they should not have 2 records broken.  

U20 and a fictitious youth record.  I'm hoping for 1-1 at the worst lol.   I'm confident in 2-0 though.   

8 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

On the IAAF site they should be ranked first in the world in U20.  

On the fictitious site, they should take the lead time in American 18 and Under if you want to call it this way.  That's how I would.   You are deterring a mark because of a 15 year old phenom.  That's fine but I see no reason they should not have 2 records broken.  

U20 and a fictitious youth record.  I'm hoping for 1-1 at the worst lol.   I'm confident in 2-0 though.   

Okay please let me know, what records are you referring to and what body grants those records?

I met Gabriel Oladipo today from Fort Bend Hightower - discus -  He is coached by his dad (giant man)  very good people.  Dad was in the 84' Olympics (not usa)

Gabriel was born in Dallas.  

Must say it was very refreshing to see the respect between Father and Son while they trained.

Just another reminder that "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"  This kid has talent and he was working for it.

I have pics on my phone maybe I can figure out how to post them on here.

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

I met Gabriel Oladipo today from Fort Bend Hightower - discus -  He is coached by his dad (giant man)  very good people.  Dad was in the 84' Olympics (not usa)

Gabriel was born in Dallas.  

Must say it was very refreshing to see the respect between Father and Son while they trained.

Just another reminder that "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"  This kid has talent and he was working for it.

I have pics on my phone maybe I can figure out how to post them on here.

Kid is a beast.  When he throws people just jaw drop.

12 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Christian Coleman just ran a 9.82 wind legal.  Cameron Burrell ran a 9.93.

That 4.12 40 needs to be retaken :).  Maybe he's got 4.09 in him now lol.  

I'm still getting over last weekend.  Cali put up a show.   Fictitious unofficial record made top list though :).   The writer is using the ustaf rules for "youth", right or wrong.  Seems it's very unofficial lol.  

http://www.milesplit.com/articles/213899

Some very fast 4x100 men's prelims. I caught those and dvr'd the rest.  I did see that A&M ran a sub 3 min 4x400!  Sure helps having a guy named Kerley running anchor.  

• Like 1