OT: HS track

golfaddict1

Cole Beck, who led Blacksburg to a surprise Virginia 3A football title last year, set the all-time, all-class VA state meet 100m record with a 10.41 yesterday. Surprised that Noah Lyles didn't go faster than that.

Penn State RB commit Journey Brown broke Leroy Burrell's PA state meet record with a 10.43 last weekend.

Anybody see the Burns kid from Florida run the 300m H this week?  2nd fastest time in History and he beat some good competition from Texas.

USA Track and Field is moving in the right direction we got plenty of talent in the states to beat JAM!

Bottom line is Burns was the fastest kid all year in this event and he proved going head up against the kid from Plano Tx who had the 2nd fastest time.

Correct me if I am wrong 2nd place in this race was a top 10 all time performance???

Better keep eye open for this Kalon Barnes kid from Silsbee TX -  He is only Jr. and ran right with TC running 2nd fastest time in the nation - Made TC run personal best to beat him.  20.51 vs 20.54  - Beat some other good kids in this event from Florida and Georgia.

Coming from small town Silsbee my bet is Barnes is only now starting to reach his potential.

It would be really cool if in the coming years - we could have true all-star track meet - state vs states - All states welcomed 

I going to start using my connections to make this happen.

California needs to end their season one or two weeks earlier!

If Not - the rest of the nation can run without them!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Better keep eye open for this Kalon Barnes kid from Silsbee TX -  He is only Jr. and ran right with TC running 2nd fastest time in the nation - Made TC run personal best to beat him.  20.51 vs 20.54  - Beat some other good kids in this event from Florida and Georgia.

Coming from small town Silsbee my bet is Barnes is only now starting to reach his potential.

Barnes has the stuff.  I think he would have got Cooper if he was right next to him.  Cooper got to look at Barnes from 3 lanes away.

19 hours ago, 954gator said:

So 3 of team USA were from Fl?  

Yes

19 hours ago, 954gator said:

I still would love to know what type of 400m time Burns would have.   I swear he'd be a 45sec runner. 

Unofficial splits... Burrell led off.  not sure who ran 2nd leg but Cooper anchored.  

Burrell  47.98, Burns 45.82 Walton 44.5 and Cooper 45.05  (had they brought Tyquan Thornton from BTW, they probably would have knocked a second off that time).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yes

Unofficial splits... Burrell led off.  not sure who ran 2nd leg but Cooper anchored.  

Burrell  47.98, Burns 45.82 Walton 44.5 and Cooper 45.05  (had they brought Tyquan Thornton from BTW, they probably would have knocked a second off that time).  

without question the USA team had the best 400 kids - Texas didn't really have any of the best nationally ranked kids that could of ran at this meet.  The same could be said about the 4x100 - Not sure how Texas won the 4x200 

However, I believe if we had the best from Florida and Texas it would have went down like this.

Texas - wins 4x100

Texas - wins 4x200

Florida - wins 4x400

The Burrell kid from LA has chance to be really good - only freshman now.

35 minutes ago, Texasball said:

without question the USA team had the best 400 kids - Texas didn't really have any of the best nationally ranked kids that could of ran at this meet.  The same could be said about the 4x100 - Not sure how Texas won the 4x200 

However, I believe if we had the best from Florida and Texas it would have went down like this.

Texas - wins 4x100

Texas - wins 4x200

Florida - wins 4x400

The Burrell kid from LA has chance to be really good - only freshman now.

I'll give you 4x1, but I FL takes 4x2 more often than not.   I do think Texas is better with their transitions in general.

7 hours ago, 954gator said:

I'll give you 4x1, but I FL takes 4x2 more often than not.   I do think Texas is better with their transitions in general.

Maybe - I had some coaches tell me that many of the best 200m runners don't end up running the open 200 in Texas because of the 4x200 - Kids can only run so many events and the 4x200 is double the points as is all the relays in Texas.

Remind me does Florida run the 4x200 at the state meet?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Maybe - I had some coaches tell me that many of the best 200m runners don't end up running the open 200 in Texas because of the 4x200 - Kids can only run so many events and the 4x200 is double the points as is all the relays in Texas.

Remind me does Florida run the 4x200 at the state meet?

No 4x200 at any regular meets, district, regional, or state. Have seen it run early in season at relay specialty events, but it is rare. All events in Florida are 10pts for 1st place. Relays don't earn more points. In the 1960's the 4x200 was common. I ran it in junior high ('68,'69) #oldman. * Sprint medley isn't run much anymore either. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texasball said:

The announcers crack me up.  They just knew the Schwartz was going to win.  Coming into the race Schwartz had ran 10.15 with 2.0 wind and Barnes had ran 10.22 with .9

Yeah wow that was a slow run for Schwartz.   Didn't look like he had that top gear he usually does.   

8 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

No 4x200 at any regular meets, district, regional, or state. Have seen it run early in season at relay specialty events, but it is rare. All events in Florida are 10pts for 1st place. Relays don't earn more points. In the 1960's the 4x200 was common. I ran it in junior high ('68,'69) #oldman. * Sprint medley isn't run much anymore either. 

Yeah the 4x2 is a rare event in Fl.  

On 6/5/2017 at 11:01 AM, golfaddict1 said:

Yes

Burrell split under 46. Cooper had slowest split, was second leg.

1 hour ago, westbankeagle said:

Burrell split under 46. Cooper had slowest split, was second leg.

While the unofficial splits I copied from online were clearly off as Burrell ran quicker... also surprising that Cooper ran the 2nd leg.   Walton tore the 3rd leg and Burns cruised in nicely.  

If you're up for a challenge... go for it, lol.   Here is the video.  I tried twice and it's obviously quite difficult to do.  If 5 people tried we'd get different times for sure.  I got in two tries with a best of 3:03.62  So I'm .27 seconds too high. 

Burrell I timed off the sound of the pop that's right around 4 seconds... I came up with the following:

Burrell - 46.33  (he ran a PB in the 400 earlier to finish 2nd to Cooper in 46.19) just 15 yrs old?,  Cooper  45.96,  Walton 44.84  (several felt he ran 44.5 split) and Burns 46.49  

http://pinoyathletics.info/2017/06/usa-kids-set-world-u18-record-4x400/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

While the unofficial splits I copied from online were clearly off as Burrell ran quicker... also surprising that Cooper ran the 2nd leg.   Walton tore the 3rd leg and Burns cruised in nicely.  

If you're up for a challenge... go for it, lol.   Here is the video.  I tried twice and it's obviously quite difficult to do.  If 5 people tried we'd get different times for sure.  I got in two tries with a best of 3:03.62  So I'm .27 seconds too high. 

Burrell I timed off the sound of the pop that's right around 4 seconds... I came up with the following:

Burrell - 46.33  (he ran a PB in the 400 earlier to finish 2nd to Cooper in 46.19) just 15 yrs old?,  Cooper  45.96,  Walton 44.84  (several felt he ran 44.5 split) and Burns 46.49  

http://pinoyathletics.info/2017/06/usa-kids-set-world-u18-record-4x400/

That article is also not correct.  At least one competitor turns 19 this year so it isn't a youth record, plus one kid competes for the Cayman Islands not the US.